When the fuck did you all stop sweating?

@guy1988 Am I very sheltered for never having heard that before? For reference, I am British; is it a very American thing? Maybe I'm just slow.

@tenten Britain doesn't have many Jews and a vast majority of them live in one area of London.

You'd be less likely to encounter it first hand I think. I (also British) knew it, but I think from American media or just being online too much.

It's not the first thing that came to my mind when I read "k word" either... There's a k word that's a racial slur in South Africa and I thought OP may have been from there.

@glenwoodinncc That's not a swear word, that's a hate crime in the making. How the F does a kid know that word?

The only way is that you or someone you know is introducing that word.

Not okay.

@glenwoodinncc Ah, okay. Hypothetical.

Well, I'm a language guy. As long as it's not a slur, I teach my kids that the rainbow of words we use is all about conveying a very specific message and it is important to consider your audience.

What you say (and the words you use) with buddies is going to be a lot different than what you say with grandma or a teacher.

Essentially, aside from words that are used to hurt people, there are no bad words, just words used in an incorrect setting or with the wrong people.

My 8 year old knows all of the "bad" words, but he knows when and where it is appropriate to use them. Once, not too long ago, after stubbing his toe, and clearly in a lot of pain, he asked me if he could use the "S word."

I said, "sure, this is an appropriate time, place, and audience to use the word... just not in front of grandma."

@melochelo As a Jew.. on one hand I guess I'm glad there are people who don't know it, but also kind of shocked as it's still used fairly frequently in many modern vernaculars.

And the "f" word is even more popular.. but maybe you don't consider it a bad word? 🤷

@julie12389 The F word is definitively not as bad as any racial slur because there’s no way to use a racial slur without denigrating a human. You can say fuck in all sorts of ways that don’t hurt people.