When the fuck did you all stop sweating?

@glenwoodinncc My girls second word was fuck. Perfect pronunciation straight away. That’s when we stopped. I’d say the time for you is now. I don’t mind once she’s old enough to know where it’s appropriate but for now I don’t want her swearing at daycare. Such fun and easy words to say too

@glenwoodinncc As an aside I'm sweating balls more since the baby came. Not sure why because it ain't all from the more activity. I'm shedding water.

I have not stopped swearing and part of me thinks I will not be able to. I love in Scotland ffs, it's literally the lingo 😅

@glenwoodinncc On a bus, on the way to the museum:

Son, 3, pointing at the scab on my palm: What happened?

Me: I stabbed myself with s screwdriver whhen I built a shelf.

Son: Did you cry?

Me: No, but I said a few bad words. It's OK to cry, though.

Son: Did you say fuck?

Wife dies laughing

@glenwoodinncc I still swear just as much. I don’t mind when my kids (12 & 10) swear at home, to an extent. It’s actually kinda wholesome to hear our daughter tell her big brother she’s gonna kick his ass during Mario Kart. They know they shouldn’t swear at school or at friend’s houses, and other than a few early hiccups, the policy has worked well.

@glenwoodinncc Swear words are just as much a part of my language as please and thank you are. That’s not gonna change.

We focus more on intent and less on individual words. Is the language being used demeaning, derogatory, belittling or an attack on self/another person? Then we have a problem.

When I comes down to it I would much rather hear my kid say “fuck” rather then “I can’t….”

@glenwoodinncc It's interesting to me how "retarded" evolved from being an actually accepted medical(?) term for describing people with developmental disorders to being a widely used term for describing stupid people generally to being one of the worst epithets in the English language, such that people won't even say it in the context of describing the term itself; it's simply "the R word."

I make no judgement about this evolution of language. I just find it kind of fascinating how things change over time. But I'm a bit of a language nerd, I suppose. 🤓

@otisortiz Frankly, I think it's a worrying trend that we refuse to utter the words no matter the context. That's ascribing way too much significance to the words themselves, and too little to the attitudes behind their pejorative usage. It's as if people think forcibly removing a selection of words from the language is somehow magically going to fix the stigma and prejudice leading up to the abuse of those words, and that's simply not how things work. All that does is give you a few years of respite before the new words inevitably become stigmatised and fall out of favour.

@kickthichphattiren689 yep, I would never say the slurs discussed in this thread in regular life but it is absolutely ok to say them in the context of discussing their meaning and usage. There are people in this thread that don’t even know the word “kike”, what it means or why it should be avoided and the explanations are ridiculous stuff like “kite but replace the t with a k”. A jew doesn’t die because you typed four letters.

@obamawoodhollywood The etymology of ‘kike’ is pretty interesting, too. It's always been a derogatory term, but it was originally used by German-American Jews as a derogatory term for Russian Jews. Possibly because their surnames tended to end in -ki or -ky.