How do you think this happens? (dads not knowing things about their kids)

myonee

After watching this video, I was talking to my dad and he was able to answer all of the questions that were asked in this video, which I was pretty sure he would. But can I ask, how do you think this happens with other dads? I imagine that most of the dads in a subreddit dedicated to dad-ing would probably know these things, but why do you think other dads end up forgetting these things?

I mean, I talk to my dad about my friends and what's going on in my life because he asks. And he remembers what I tell him, like who my roommates are and what health issues I've had, etc. I will say that my mom was pretty responsible for making all my appointments when I was growing up, but she would always then tell my dad what happened and what the doctor said.

Is the ignorance caused by a lack of communication between parents? Is it dads not asking, or just being worse at names? The birthday thing especially confused me, especially since one of my dad's favorite things is teasing me about when my birthday is because I share it with a minor federal holiday. He likes to do the classic dad joke thing where he goes, "Hmm, is there an important day this week? Oh yes, I remember, it's [holiday]!" Despite all his faults, I simply can't imagine my dad not knowing the names of my schools or the names of my friends.

@myonee You just need a few people to freeze in front of a camera to get this bit. There's plenty of other examples all across the internet of how easy this is.

@myonee I mean it is a stereotype and there’s probably some truth to it. I can answer all those questions. I might get the favorite subject wrong just because my daughter waffles on that one. It is probably English but it might be art.

@johnfish I asked another replier this and would love to get your take as well - out of curiosity, do you think your wife/husband/partner would be able to answer these questions better or worse than yourself? Or would they know the answers to things about your kids that you don't, and vice versa?

@myonee Hmmm maybe. She’s really organized.

But I know the kids’ doctors more because I’m usually the one that takes them because my schedule is more flexible.

She knows the after school and school activities better because she schedules them. But we are probably pretty even.

@myonee i'm always forgetting how old i am.

i forgot my own birthday, mostly because i was working a lot that week and it was on a Tuesday I think and the day just came and went. Partner remembered and had the kiddos do a cute breakfast thing, but about an hour later I forgot it was the birthday day again and well. We just celebrated it with cake and stuff over the weekend, and it was cool.

@myonee I work as an editor of unscripted (reality) TV. I have a lot of tricks, but the number one way I manipulate you is by what I don’t show you. Want to make someone look mean? Just use every moment when they were less than cordial, never show why they are behaving that way, and never show them being a nice, normal person.

In this case, what to make dad’s look foolish? Cut out every moment of a dad being competent.

@thinkbig2010 I asked another replier this and would love to get your take as well - out of curiosity, do you think your wife/husband/partner would be able to answer these questions better or worse than yourself? Or would they know the answers to things about your kids that you don't, and vice versa?