I (21f) just got a kyleena iud and I’m not attracted to my boyfriend(22m). Is this a normal thing that happens?

@charmaine93 I can empathize, I've been on Annovera for almost two months and I do not want sex any more. I miss being actually wanting my boyfriend instead of lying there and getting it over with so that he doesn't feel neglected- bc he's horny 24/7. He's been so patient with how badly the hormones are affecting me.

@charmaine93 Do you have sex every time you hangout? It could be that because you have a lower sex drive now, that you don’t want to spend time with him because you know it usually leads to sex and aren’t interested. Was the sex what made him attractive to you, and now that you don’t want to it changed for you?

@charmaine93 My libido was completely gone with the kyleena and I didn’t realize that was the cause until I had it out last year and switched to the pill. But I still wanted to hang with my bf I just never wanted to have sex.

My advice is- reevaluate and consider how you truly feel about him. I felt at one point I used to put a lot of weight on sex in my relationships so when I was feeling not into it, I would feel pretty bad about myself and enter into like cave cricket mode. I can’t not hang with my bf, we live together but I just was cranky and bitchy a lot because inside I had anxiety about whether or not he would still love me for feeling not into sex that much. Make sure you’re not playing tricks on yourself. And if you feel weird, explain to him what’s going on.

@charmaine93 I’m going to be the odd man out here, because I’ve had a similar situation (still trying to navigate). I absolutely believe kyleena affects attraction. 7 months ago, I got engaged to a man who I am head over heels for. 6 & 1/2 months ago I got kyleena (I had never had an iud before, wanted to switch from severe depression inducing pills). Within 3 weeks of having kyleena, I started becoming more negative and uninterested in my relationship. Within 3 months, I feel like my entire relationship has changed, and it’s all on me. It’s not just my relationship with my fiance - it’s even with my dog who has been driving me insane (very odd for me, as I’m in the veterinary field). I recently had a conversation with someone else on here who has shared a very similar experience to mine as well.

Birth control might not change attraction directly, but it changes libido and hormones. When you’re moody (due to hormones), sometimes it affects attraction… so therefore in my opinion, yes. It absolutely can. 🤷🏼‍♀️

In my situation, I strongly feel it’s my hormones messing up things. I don’t feel like I’m the same person as a whole. I feel like a soulless shell of a human honestly. My depression is better, per se, because I just have no feelings. I’m just a stone cold biotch right now.

Anyways, that’s my personal feeling. It’s truly different for everyone. With everything I’ve felt change through birth control trials, I truly believe it’s at fault for and can do more than we think to our feelings and emotions. Maybe not directly, but indirectly still leads to the same area. I’m planning on hopefully switching either back to pill (I’d rather be depressed and on meds than whatever this is), or trying a different type of iud.

Birth control f*king sucks, my dude

Edit:
I will add that I’m also inclined to agree with others on re-evaluating your relationship with it being so new. Only you know yourself, and sometimes that’s a challenge on its own. Go with your gut. List out the reasons why you don’t want to be around him. If you can’t give yourself a good argument, you might have your answer as to what’s really causing the disinterest.

Back