Dads breaking generational abuse, how do you discipline your kids?

@utay62 i have a 3 year old who can be a lot some times. i'm trying to be better than my dad and it's hard. my dad wasn't physically abusive but he yelled a lot and could be verbally abusive. it's really hard to not fall into those traps in the heat of the moment. my tips are to learn to stay calm, remember you're talking to a creature of pure chaos that doesn't listen to reason, so dont try and reason with it. walk away if you can. a child has never died from screaming or crying. i've found that having some good talks about expectations has really helped with my daughter lately. we will put her in time outs for not listening or back talking us but that's the extent of our punishments. she sits in a corner for a minute and has to tell us why she sat there and appologies afterwards. it seems to be working so far. like others have said setting timers has helped for us too. Good luck Dad. you've got this

@utay62 My favorite is a time out but not necessary like time outs for older kids; I hug my 2yo closely, we do some deep breaths, i can explain why she needs to [insert thing].

I have also found that this helps calm me down since I’m usually pretty frustrated if she’s not listening. This helps reduce that desire for yelling, cursing, and spanking that is my reflex based on my upbringing.

@utay62 I would just like to note that there is a time and place for things. Discipline is very different from abuse. As a kid I wasn’t spanked often but when I was being out of hand i would get a good whack. I once lied to my dad about a pretty serious matter. Got my ass whipped. Never told the man another lie. I’d rather be brutally honest and suffer the consequences than bring shame and dishonesty to my family.

@utay62 Will sound stupid af but it worked very well with my kids when they were younger : we had a dog before we had kids, and we watched Cesar religiously before having the dog. Long story short : calm and assertive, and always stick to the limits you put down (big emphasis on the calm). If you say ''stop that or there will be consequences'', stick to your word. The very second they don't listen to you, sit them firmly and calmly in the corner until they calm down. Very important : act before you lose patience and get furious. After a short while, they will understand that when you say something, you mean it. If you never act, they will know that what you say is bullshit, and that they can stretch you until you get mad. There will be a lot more fun and happy times if they don't always try to challenge your limits. But yeah, 2yo is pretty young, and it is hard at that age to focus. Hang in there, you'll figure it out!

@utay62 I was spanked as a child. I didn’t see it as abuse and have a hard time now. It never was excessive or done with malice but I swore never to allow it to happen to my child. Though Bandit did sell me on the idea of bum bongos.

Right now I get down on his level and talk to him to look for the reason why he’s so upset and redirect him as best I can. But if he needs time to calm down, we go to his room together unless he’s hitting then he can sit by himself.

@utay62 At that age the best thing to do is redirect them. I know this is frustrating when you have to do it over and over again. But at that age they have zero control over their instantaneous desire. I have a 4 yr old that might be on the spectrum. Trust me I get it. He still doesn’t listen to us but it is getting better. Sometimes. When he’s not tired. Or hungry. Or thirsty. And the moon is not full. And he hasn’t had too much sugar. And he’s had some protein. And well you get it

@utay62 My dad was an ex-army sergeant who hit us quite often. But by the time we were finishing primary school the hits were turning into punches.

I swore to never hits my kids. But..my daughter has been hit once, when she was three, and jumped up and grabbed onto the handle of a glass display cabinet and swung on it, bringing down the cabinet and destroying the glass...I smacked her bum before i could stop myself.

That's the only time she has been hit by me. My son has NEVER been hit.

Sometimes I DO shout at them.

What I do when that fails, is remove them from my company. Either tell them to go o their room, OR I go to my room and refuse to interact with them. My room also happens to be where the laptops are! (We each have one)

Sometimes they would sneak into my room to play. I let them, because often it was because I was sleeping in. They learned to be VERY quiet when they want to be.

In the very worst case, when my daughter was refusing to give me her phone so I could stop her playing with it instead of going to sleep, I reminded her that I paid the phone bill and if she stopped listening to me i would stop paying it.

My daughter was unable to start learning the piano at three (very common in China where we were) and as a consequence we had to cancel the lessons. Later on she asked if should could start learning again and we said no.

They are 14 and 16 now. Many people have commented on how calm and well behaved they are. Because they learned to discipline themselves, they have self discipline.

All studies say it is best not to hit kids. As someone who actually practiced it, I can tell you it worked for me. Currently they both wash, hang out and dry their own clothes, and after dinner we each wash up in rotation: 1st day me, next day daugther, next day son.

@utay62 I grew up in an abusive home. My mom was verbally and physically abusive — not all the time but it stuck and it sucks. My wife is completely the opposite of how my mom was and she uses the methods mentioned here on our 2yo son with kindness and grace. But I have to catch myself a lot of times to break my own generational cycle.

By your willingness to take a cold hard look at your generational cycle is the first step. That awareness is going to open up options — like you asking this subreddit for solutions. That shame you felt came from a different time, a different place.

I always tell myself that my son will not only learn from his parents but they will also pick up things around him, his schoolmates, their parents, his environment. My job is to keep him safe and build a space where he can always come back to.

My son throws more tantrums at home compared to in school. He’s more demanding of his parents than his relatives or people he meets. It’s only because he feels safe to express himself at an age that he doesn’t really understand what he’s feeling. So, gotta help the kiddo out.

Back