Does anyone have any subchorionic haematoma stories with a happy ending?

iamfree67

Started bleeding yesterday at 5+3 and was lucky enough to get a scan that day. Embryo measuring perfectly, sat nowhere near the cervix, no heartbeat yet but not surprising. Subchorionic haematoma identified, they didn't mention the size but it's not near the embryo. All bleeding looks old. bHCG 11.5k and progesterone 60 so that's a positive.

The registrar was keen to emphasise that percentages mean nothing to the individual and I was not to go home and Google miscarriage risks. I'm a medic myself and rotated through O&G many years ago, so I do remember a fair bit. He also said he expects me to bleed more, although it's currently stopped. I have another scan next Monday.

As I lay on my sofa feeling sorry for myself, I would love to hear any stories from people with previous SCHs who have been fine. Thank you, it means a lot.

@iamfree67 I had bleeding from 6 weeks to 24 weeks. Big SCH. I was actually told to prepare for a miscarriage at 8 weeks due to a lab error on one of my betas. She’s 16 months now and a demon LOL

@iamfree67 Massive bleed at 12 weeks, while travelling. Pelvic rest, modified bed rest, and magnesium supplementation for two weeks.

Another huge bleed at 15 weeks, where I found out about the SCH, and was told there was nothing they could do specifically to help. They did put me back on progesterone, which continued for most of the rest of my pregnancy, and I was on bed rest for the next three weeks. (I also had to have a cerclage placed at 18 weeks because of an incompetent cervix, but that’s a different story.)

I think the SCH and placenta previa both resolved spontaneously around 20? 21? weeks.

She’s five now, and leaves me love notes and gives me kisses and hugs and says I’m the best mama in the whole wide world. ❤️ I hope so very much for the same for you.

@iamfree67 With my first pregnancy after 10 years of infertility with two older living children, bleeding had never been normal for me in pregnancy. When I went for my 6w ultrasound, they told me I had a very large implantation bleed. (Which I believe is the same as a sch now). I did lose that pregnancy, BUT my betas were not doubling properly, and I knew something was wrong. Fast forward to current pregnancy a year later, I had a pretty large sch (which they did note in all of my early ultrasounds) and I was mortified. I was just waiting to bleed. I never did, and I do believe it was reabsorbed. My doctor told me that the bleed was on the opposite side of the baby, and our bodies usually do reabsorb the bleed. I had asked in my mom group the first time and overall, there were TONS of moms who had very very bad bleeds, like soaking towels bad, and almost all of them had them resolve, and if they did bleed the full pregnancy, their babies were totally unharmed!

@iamfree67 I had an episode of spotting so I went in for a scan at 8 weeks. They found a SCH at my 8 week scan, then had another scan at 8w5d and it was gone! Now almost 13 weeks and everything looks good.

@iamfree67 Yes. Had 2 with bleeding and some heavy clotting. Lots of pain for weeks. Was told it was normal when it felt VERY abnormal. Bleeding was triggered by pevic exercises, and sometimes simply just walking or stress. i rested despite being restless. I'm 23 weeks now and they are gone and I feel a million times better.

@iamfree67 I had a bad one at 12 weeks- bled through several pads over a day and a half, lots of clots. I would sit up and have a full gush multiple times. It resolved and now I’m 36 weeks

@iamfree67 I had one at 6+2 that caused moderate red bleeding for a few days, followed by brown spotting for a few weeks. Dr gave me 50/50 chance of miscarriage. SCH was completely resolved by 10 weeks and I’m currently 15+2

@iamfree67 I had a large one with intense bleeding at 12 weeks, and the SCH persisted throughout my entire pregnancy despite my doctors insisting it would resolve by 20 weeks. That baby is 18 months old now.

@iamfree67 I had a scan at 8w due to bleeding/spotting. They found an SCH, and the ultrasound tech told me they’re super common. She said I was her second SCH of the day (at 11am) and that she had had 3 the day before. It was gone by my 12w scan, but honestly if it was still there I wouldn’t have been worried.

@iamfree67 I had a small-ish one around 6-7 weeks as well. I didn’t have any bleeding, but they did see it on the ultrasound. Mine must’ve cleared up because they never mentioned it again and everything turned out fine. Saying prayers for you and your sweet little one. ❤️

@iamfree67 I think they’re fairly common and most people don’t have long term negative effects to placenta & baby. I have one that hasn’t bled and have been told it depends a lot on the size but that most resolve on their own. My pregnant pal had a similar large scary bleed very early, twice, but is now closing in on her due date and had a fairly uneventful rest of her pregnancy. By the time she got to her 20 week scan the SCH was hard to even find.

@iamfree67 Massive bleeding with large clots at5 weeks. In hospital a couple times. Spotting till 8 weeks. All resolved before 20 weeks.

Currently deciding if I should wake this sleeping baby to have a normal bedtime. She’s 8 months