Does anyone else’s kid survive on snacks and snacks only?

@chukwuemeka But he does. Unless you can go back in time and prevent him from learning of their existence, keep comments like this to yourself. It's at best unhelpful and at worst a deliberate attempt to make another parent feel bad for giving their child food they'll eat instead of forcing them to eat food they don't want.

@ruanddrew I stopped calling meals by their names. I make “snack plates” and put a bunch of small portions of things in all the slots. Carrots, yogurt, cheese, apple sauce, & corn. It varies what on what I have in hand and then I add the “main” thing that’s protein. Pb, chicken nuggets. He (3.5 yr old) rarely eats everything mostly picks but thats that only way I can get him to eat anything! I don’t call it lunch or dinner, it’s a snack plate. With a whole ass peanut butter sandwich.

@bolestansvet Mine loves snack plates! But he resists changing the content of the snack plate so it’s been crackers, cheese and a fruit pouch I feel like...it’s one of each food group so it’s not that bad

@ruanddrew Mine snacks all day but they are mostly fruit, cheese, pickles and things that I wouldn’t consider too unhealthy. I stopped buying junk food because then it’s just not an option. Easier said than done since mommy has a sweet tooth but it’s the only way for me to make sure my kid is eating well.

@lambie Second the not buying junk food method. If it’s not offered and not available it’s not an option 🤷‍♀️

We really strived to only offer healthy snacks from the get-go and now that’s all she knows so she’s happy to partake. She asks MIL for the junk food, so we know better than to send her over there lest she lose her good eating habits…

@lambie We have more junk food in the house now than before my kid was born. My husband does most of the grocery shopping and he is the biggest pushover when it comes to finding sweet/salty snack foods and candy to feed to our daughter.

She isn’t too picky except about meat. Sometimes her only veggie in a day is frozen peas, but I think that counts. Haha. She definitely eats more sugar in a day than I’d like. But if a little extra candy and sugary cereals in my child (and a pleased husband) is the price I pay for not having to do groceries, I’ll pay it.

@ruanddrew The only way I got my 2.5yo to eat proper meals was to cut out the snacks entirely. It worked for a while and then he'd go off his meals so I would resort to snack supplying to just make sure he's eating. They go through growth spurts where they lose their appetites and I'm constantly having to reassure myself that he will tell me if/when he's hungry, childen won't starve themselves.

@ruanddrew This thread made me feel so much better. My almost 2 year old lives on snacks. He will throw any meal I give him on the floor but will snack throughout the day.