What’s your worst part of being a one and done parent?

@eric2015 I put the audio book on my library list! Thank you for the suggestion. And also, congratulations on your pregnancy! Don’t let my post scare you lol. Like I said above, it’s been a mostly lovely experience but it’s not without its struggles 🙃

@eric2015 No this is such a great idea.

I just add fun music to everything & make it a dance cleaning montage lol.

Everything is more fun with music (some goofy songs/some inspirational)- & now that my son's older he thoroughly enjoys getting to show me new music while we do things together.

@eric2015 Can confirm! My kid helps with chores (she loves the vacuum cleaner lol), we just planted some seedlings together, we make dinner and bake together. Way more enjoyable than "entertaining" them all the time, and she feels like a big girl!

@eric2015 It really is! I don't feel like I'm always entertaining her, she willingly will go read books in the corner by herself or play by herself at times, and when she does want me to play she will grab my hand and ask.

@jakebroom Ya but it’s more so because of society and the environment I am in. I can’t afford a big enough space for another child and also her dad left us. However, for Easter I was at a family friend’s house and there was a 6 month old and I honestly looked crazy because I was just in love with this child. Held him, smelt him, just complete baby fever! Something about holding a baby. Ahhh

@mercuryash If it makes you feel any better at all, I had a playdate with my friend with two who are close together (less than 2 years. Optimal "built in friend" gap). Spring break has been hell for her. I'm drained from running after my preschooler a lot. She has been literally keeping her kids from killing each other (the elder of the two literally tried to push the younger down the stairs at the playground. The mom ended up asking her husband to come by on his lunch break (he works from home) so she could have help keeping them apart before something happened. It ended any "at least two would play together" feelings REAL quick (some siblings are great playmates. Others...)

@mercuryash I also came here to say something similar! Siblings is no guarantee of a break. My niece and nephew are 18/16 now but growing up they could never ever play without an adult, like they could never play just between themselves. Eg we would go on vacation together and they always needed an adult to throw the ball in the pool with them or whatever. The adults constantly had to cycle in to play. Once my husband suggested they make up a game to play between themselves and they literally were like… uh how? They also fought constantly! It was exhausting hanging out with them.

In contrast I am typing this from my holiday resort and my 5 year old has been brilliant at finding buddies in the kid pool to play with - usually other onlies - and when he can’t find someone to play with he is often quite happy just splashing around himself and inventing little games! For us I noticed he got much better at this after starting school!

Back