SAHP who have bigger kids and a baby, need your input for this newly SAHM. (x-posted from Parenting)

miss_clueless

School's out and starting tomorrow, I will have 3 kids here full time by myself. Which is a first for me, my kids are an almost 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and a 16 week old baby...all boys. Boys can be loud as hell! The baby is still working on the whole napping situation, he can be a crappy napper or just take short naps..which means many naps a day.

My question is this, is there anything you say/do that helps keep the bigger kids quiet or entertained while you put the baby to nap? Sometimes it can take me a good 20+ mins to get the baby down. We live in a small space, I could just throw an iPad at them to keep them quiet...but I really don't wanna do that!

Any ideas or tips for me?!?

@katiemomandstudent This is the answer. I've been using a white noise machine since my baby was born, and now, at 11 months old, she sleeps far better if we have late night guests, and use a blender and a food processor and our upstairs neighbors are stomping around and doing karaoke (they do this on the weekends) after her bedtime than she does when all is quiet and still.

@miss_clueless I'm in the same situation with a 2.5 year old that thinks when I'm breastfeeding is a good time to be atrocious because I can't physically stop her. I'm tempted to use la Chancla.

@miss_clueless I understand not wanting to throw electronics at kids, but just think of it as a necessary soution to a short-term problem. That, or plan to be outside A LOT, and get baby to nap in a sling or soft structured carrier while the big kids play.

@miss_clueless I have quiet time sometimes with my 3 y/o while my 1 y/o naps. Other times we go to a different room and play, read, or garden together so she (3y/o) gets her one on one time with mommy.

@miss_clueless For me it's the transition to sleep. We use white noise in the baby's room, but he's pretty sensitive to noises when he's trying to go to sleep. I lock my older kid downstairs with the baby gates and put on Peppa Pig.