Soon to be SAHP, but it may not be able to stay that way…

@missflora Wow. You bring up a good point that I would def be exhausted after caring for my kid all day. Working as a server in my 20’s won’t be the same in my 30’s with a kid. Def something to consider. I’m down for some side gigs tho. I just gotta find what would work best for my skill set.

People keep mentioning tutoring. That may be my best bet and I’ll still be able to use my degree.

Thanks for your input!

@paula135711 Just a thought...I know tutoring is not something you want to do (and very understandable!), But, have you heard of outschool. com?

Take a look at it. I have a niece who is homeschooled and she takes classes on there. As the teacher, you pick the day, time, and how much per class. You can teach literally anything, and make it work with your schedule. It isn't tutoring exactly, but it also is t teaching full time.

Best of luck!!!

@onestrongwriter Thanks so much!!! I will def check it out!

After reviewing many of the comments, I realized that I may need to re-evaluate my negative thinking on teaching/tutoring. I had a bad experience with my last job and I think I’m just fearful of having to go through the experience again. But, not every job is going to be the same. Not every school will be the same. This sounds like something that is def more in my wheelhouse though. Thanks again!

@rishley It’s good to hear that you enjoy being at home! I have been looking forward to it for sure, for however long I’m able to do it. And it’s nice to know I’m not the only one in this position.

I didn’t think about the social aspect of working either. Very true! Thank you!

@paula135711 This may be too specific, but I know someone who works in the finance office of a car dealership. She helps make sure people can afford the cars, pulls credit, sets up loans, etc. This may be something you could find part time, or something similar that requires someone with skill in mathematics but is far removed from teaching (since it seems like that's what you'd like).

@paula135711 So I have a masters in counseling and I have two different licenses in therapy so becoming a SAHM was rough mentally thinking I was wasting all that effort. I had ten months completely as a SAHM and was okay.. but when covid hit my brain melted. I went back to work extremely part time (8 clients) in the evenings when my husband could watch the baby. Man, that was the ticket! I could use my degrees, even if I was paid way less than I should, while still being a SAHM.

Now that I have my 2.5 year old and a 6 month old I will say it’s different. I really feel like I work all day with the kids, then work with my 3 clients I have left. Sometimes it feels like too much.

I don’t regret taking the lower paying but lower stress job. If you have something like that for you (some mentioned tutoring, or teaching one or two classes college level, etc) it’s a good fit.

@paula135711 I have my degree in statistics and worked as a data analyst for years before we decided to have my daughter. I came to hate working in a corporate tech environment and started tutoring while I was pregnant. One on one education is very different from a classroom so definitely something to look at. I also completely understand the feeling of burnout in a career category. For awhile I thought about leaving any field related to my degree and pursuing cosmetology, tattooing, or counseling. Seems pretty unrelated but I was really craving direct individual impact in my work. I also thought about server jobs, agriculture, and retail because I did those in my 20s.

That all got put on hold with covid because right as my daughter would have started preschool the world paused. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now. Thankfully we're in a position with my husband's career where I don't have to work, but I do have that nagging feeling of wasting my education. I've come to realize though it's a societal expectation outside of myself that makes me think I'm "wasting" my education.

My daughter will have incredible access to math literacy because of my education, something I didn't have. She will also learn that a woman's worth is not dictated by how "useful" society views her. She is worthy because she is a good human who gives life her all. She will also learn that it is okay to change your mind and just because you make one decision doesn't mean you are trapped on that path.

Best of luck and shoot me a message if you want someone to bounce ideas off of or to chat.

@paula135711 Becoming a cog in corporate America is really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I would try it first.

With your master's degree, you can get well-paying jobs in entry-level analytics and data science. These usually at extremely well (>70K a year, depending where you are, and some start at six figures). It would more than pay for everything. You can work 40 hours a week and not take any work home. If they don't like it, they can feel free to fire you :).

It's currently a job-seeker's market in this area. I would try it.

Back