It’s official… I was let go from my job yesterday, 7 months pregnant

@robertjjones Don’t sign anything-they might offer you a severance and they might even give you a big number to entice you to sign and not sue them. Have a lawyer look at any documents before you sign. It’s worth it.

@robertjjones A great time to spend some time on your resume and perhaps taking a light class/certification/etc in your field. This is SO unfortunate and - while it’s annoying to hear in the moment - everything happens for a reason and at some point you’ll look back on this and be glad you aren’t in such a toxic environment anymore. As you said you were “on pins and needles” - no one needs that kind of stress while pregnant!

@robertjjones I have close friends who work in employment law and all I can say is that you DEFINITELY have a case for unfair termination here. Depending on the size of the company, if you file they may immediately offer to settle, or alternately they may fight you tooth and nail. Your statement that others have equal to or more absences without similar reprimand/disciplinary action is textbook discrimination. While it's going to be stressful, I strongly believe filing a case is in your best interest. There are likely clinics near you that offer, at a minimum, consultations regarding your case and potentially taking it on pro bono. EEOC is another good place to start. It is clearly stated on the Minnesota employment discrimination website that pregnancy is a protected class. Please PLEASE at a minimum, file a complaint. What they have done is illegal and the only way companies get stopped from doing this is by being called out. I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

@robertjjones First off I am so sorry, and excuse my language, but fuck those guys! If you have built a case, I say use it! I know it sounds daunting, but I’m pretty sure the lawyer will handle most of it. It would definitely be worth it in the end.

I was in a similar boat last year, fired at 8 months pregnant. I set up their HR program so I knew I had no recourse and I was there as a temp. I was still able to claim unemployment from the temp agency!

I understand what you’re feeling right now and it is awful. I don’t think I’ve cried harder in my life than when I drove home after they walked/waddled me out. It wasn’t about the job it was about the kids, I get it! But it ended up being one of the best thing that’s happened to me.

Once the shock and depression wore down I was angry. I still am. If I had a case, I would’ve destroyed them. I’m not a lawyer, but I am certified in hr so if you need any help/advice if you decide to pursue something, send me a dm! 😊

@robertjjones I would take this as a blessing in disguise because it really sounds like you have a great pregnancy discrimination case. If you haven’t contacted an employment attorney do so now. Go ahead and pursue it, use the energy you were expending at work on this case. Also see if you qualify for unemployment. Good luck and you will get through this! The last trimester is very exhausting so try to get as much rest as you can now that you’ll have some time to not focus on work

@robertjjones Numbers per number, women with kids are really at disadvantage. we call in a lot because we always get the lions share of child care. And in US where you either have to be Uber rich or poor to “afford” it. That’s just a fact of life. It is sad. I am lucky to have a flexible career and support person but I am very sad to moms that don’t. I can empathize with how these amazing, brilliant women fade away slowly in the background because of motherhood- a beautiful thing but circumstances are just not favorable.

@robertjjones I’m so so sorry this is happening. This sounds so stressful and honestly like discrimination. I hope you are able to fight this.

In regards to getting a new job, my coworker was hired last year and left after 2 weeks to have a baby. We just hired another woman who is still on maternity leave.

I myself went on a job interview 38 weeks pregnant (I’m crazy haha) and had a huge stomach. The lady who interviewed me was so impressed that I was there interviewing mere days away from giving birth. She wanted to hire me but it was mandatory to go into the office and I wasn’t ready to do that at the time.

I say all this to say, don’t count yourself out. Apply to jobs. You may end up finding a much better, much higher paying job that actually values you AND if you can get hired before you give birth, and the company offers paid maternity leave, you can take it and have some type of income coming in.

@robertjjones I was fired two months ago, and understand the pain/frustration. I’m not pregnant, but previously had a negative experience at a job while pregnant which resulted in me being pushed out of the position. I could have pursued the issue further for discrimination but chose not to because of the health of the baby. In the end, you have to decide what is best for you.

As for unemployment, absolutely file. I did not file for unemployment and regret it. It would have been tremendously helpful to my family. Continue to look for a job when you feel you can, and don’t disclose your pregnancy/baby situation - just list the start date you feel comfortable with.

Give yourself time to heal. Being fired absolutely sucks. I spent the first week in a fog. I spent a lot of time crying and feeling like I wasn’t ever going to find another job again. Give yourself time to grieve the loss of the job, colleagues, etc.

For myself, it was important to have some sort of schedule during the day - I still got up and showered each day. I met up with friends who I hadn’t seen in a while. I went thrift store shopping. I worked in the garden. I cleaned every room of the house top to bottom. The most important thing for me was having one goal to accomplish each day. Like, today I’m going to apply for three jobs. Or today I’m going to have lunch with Amy. That way you will feel like you have been productive, even though you haven’t worked at a job.

Hugs. You’ll get through this! Reach out if you need anything.

@robertjjones Do you mind sharing what you do? What line of work you're in?

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know there are some legitimate reasons why some companies require employees to be on-site and available at certain times, but it will never NOT rub me the wrong way when absenteeism or punctuality are used as like, the most important measuring stick for an individual's success. Who fucking cares.

I hope you can relax, have a baby, spend some time at home, and then get back to the job search on your own terms.

@robertjjones I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. It's discrimination, unfortunately it still happens to working parents and pregnant women. I've known other women who were dismissed during maternity leave and I experienced discrimination in my previous company after I had my first baby.

If you have enough evidence and want to pursue an unfair dismissal case, seek legal advice. In the meantime it doesn't hurt to look for another job or if you prefer, you can take a few months for the new baby, before starting your job search. There are employers that do support working moms and I hope you find the right opportunity soon.

@robertjjones was unplanned absences the only reason they gave? if so, sounds like you have a really inexperienced manager and HRG. If they did not concretely articulate how your absences impacted your performance then you have a very strong case. i get you don’t want to pursue, and perhaps that is the best option so you can focus on your family. I will say this, don’t lock yourself into one outcome…this could be the best thing that’s ever happened to you! now the possibilities for your future is endless.

@robertjjones So sorry, sweetie. It’ll all work out. Hang in there and try not to stress about it. I’d also contact a lawyer. Is there a non profit legal aid society in your area? Sending virtual hugs. I’ve been let go for “not being a good fit” but wasn’t pregnant at the time. I know it’s tough. ❤️

@robertjjones A blessing in disguise. Enjoy the unemployment, and the last few months with your 1 year old before the baby comes. Start nesting for your baby’s arrival. They did you a favor, you don’t want to stay in an environment that doesn’t support working moms. Wishing you the best!

@robertjjones I'm sorry, that sounds so unfair. Even though it doesn't sound likely, I would apply to some other jobs. The job market is really hot right now so even being pregnant you may find something else, even better than your prior job (this happened to me and I found something way better). Or if your husband can afford it, just relax and enjoy some time relaxing before baby and bonding after birth.

That said, be careful if you live in an at will state. I live in an at will state and when this happened to me I was told by a reputable lawyer in my area that my chance of winning was very slim. I decided to cut my losses and move on. I didn't want to stress about something I wouldn't likely win. I would talk to an attorney who is very trustworthy before I pursued a lawsuit. A lot of people think discrimination at work is immediately a lawsuit but there are a lot of loopholes that benefit the employers and it sounds like your employer was trying to dot their i's and cross their t's in the February warning.

@robertjjones Definitely file for unemployment. There must be a discrimination lawsuit you can pursue as well.

Also, I was 7 months pregnant and interviewed for jobs. I got offered a job verbally and decided to disclose to the hiring manager that I was 34 weeks pregnant. I did this to feel out whether she would be ok bringing me on and not treat me like shit based on her response to my news. I wouldn’t have wanted to work for her if she had taken it poorly- also, I would pursue a discrimination case if anything. The great news is, she was able to find a temp employee for the 6 months I would be out (which was literally 2 weeks after I received my offer).

In addition, my friend also got a job at 7 months pregnant (she disclosed at time of interviewing), worked for a month and a half, and then took 4 months maternity leave. There are some good people out there- if you’re in need financially or for benefits, I would pursue a job. But if you guys are fine, milk and enjoy all the time before the baby comes! Good luck to you!

@robertjjones I was also let go at 8 months pregnant and after laying on the floor sobbing wondering what we were going to do, I went on unemployment and stayed home with my son for 10 months while I job searched. The job I found was my dream job, and 30% more pay than my old job. I’m still there 6 years later and I love it. Not every story ends that way but please have hope and use all your available resources!