My supervisor didn’t say I was ok to take the day before my planned c-section off…?

@qork At my job, the first 5 days of leave have to be PTO until FMLA kicked in. Not sure why. It was easy to leave 2 days earlier than planned when I had a slow leak of amniotic fluid and had to go to the hospital.
It probably has to do with your team also being out and your supervisor wanting someone there to get things done. I would loop HR into the mix. You deserve a day off before birthing a baby and having this life to take care of for the rest of your life. Congrats and good luck!

@ellisjay2 Right, the insurance company that handles short-term disability leave had mentioned that my PTO needed to be exhausted before leave would kick in, so that’s why I was submitting for PTO a day ahead and I’d use PTO on the days my hospital stay begins. When I mentioned that plan to the insurance company and HR (this was a month or more ago) they seemed to be on board. But I’ll see if I can do something about it today.

Thank you for your kind wishes. 💕

@qork You might need to do labs or anything else the day before. Your maternity leave needs to start on Wednesday.

I would just circle back to your bass, and copy HR, and confirm that you will be out on FMLA/maternity leave starting Wednesday, and you understand the first 4 days will be counted as PTO.

@qork I was told FMLA/maternity leave didn't kick in until the baby was out. I could take vacation or sick for labor, but not maternity leave. So she's probably checking the rules so you don't get burned.

@qork Do you have available vacation days? This sounds like an FMLA question like others have mentioned. Specifically, if you do not have the vacation days, do you need your doctor’s office to provide a note?

@bso66 I’ll have 4 vacation PTO days before going to the hospital! I’m trying to use them to end out that week, so technically my leave would start the following Monday.

@qork Are you sure that’s how it works? STD doesn’t usually require PTO exhaustion.

There’s often an elimination period, which is an unpaid period where you’re disabled but not eligible to receive benefits. 7 calendar days is a common duration, but the elimination period can be 0 days, 14 days, or other durations. Typically, you can use PTO to still get paid during the elimination period, but you shouldn’t have to exhaust PTO. And typically, if you don’t have enough PTO to cover that period, it will be unpaid.

So if your date of disability is Thursday and you have a 7 day elim period, you will be unpaid Thur through the following Wed. You could use your PTO for any of those biz days. Then your STD benefit kicks in that Thursday and continues for x weeks. Keep in mind the elim period is part of the disability period, so if you get 6 weeks, it’s 6 from the date of disability, even though you only get benefits for 5 weeks.

Your policy could work differently, but it would be very uncommon to require you to exhaust PTO before STD kicks in. Leave is a different policy, so your Leave could require PTO exhaustion while STD does not.

@qork we live in such a fucking nightmare. if you have the PTO, you should be able to use it. JFC your boss needs to get their head out of their ass.

@qork When I submit PTO it’s not a request, I’m letting my employer know I will not be there and they need to make adjustments for that on their end.

@christhepenitent You’re 100% right. I think there’s just so much stacked against us that we don’t know how to overcome it. American businesses don’t want to pay us to have time away with our babies, and our government isn’t pushing them that they have to.

@qork It isn’t as if you can just cross your legs and not sneeze! I thought myself badly used when an idiot boss docked me a vacation day and suggested I have a full anesthesia D&c on my lunch hour.