Husband has concerns over Covid vaccine

@bdiddy I enjoyed your insight from the Netherlands, i had a question about something unrelated to covid.

Why is home education prohibited or unusual in the Netherlands? Just curious about the social differences and policies.

I’m in Texas and I plan to homeschool when it’s time but thats largely based on a huge fear i have around school shootings. The Uvalde elementary school shooting was only 30 minutes away from me and i cannot seem to shake off my fear of sending her to school

@rexcolin School shootings are not a thing here. Gun ownership is subject to very strict rules which means that virtually no one is in possession of guns.

Children in the Netherlands are subject to compulsory education and are entitled to a good education. This is strictly controlled. Home schooling is not a form of education recognised by law. In the Netherlands, we only know education at or by a school. There are therefore few opportunities for parents to offer home education to their child. Only if parents and/or children are exempt from compulsory education can they opt for home education. Exemption can arise on physical and psychological grounds (the child is 'not teachable'), or if parents have predominant reservations about the direction of all schools in the neighbourhood. There are strict conditions attached to both these grounds for exemption, so that, for example, a directional objection is usually only valid if the child has never attended another school. In practice, home education is rarely granted.

@serenity777 Just expressing appreciation for this question and all the viewpoints being expressed. I’m also struggling with a husband and this decision.

I’m also very sad to see that any “no vaccine” viewpoints are being downvoted. I think there are many of us who are genuinely interested in the facts on both sides to help us make informed decisions. Thank you for sharing your opinions and taking the karma hit.

@serenity777 The vaccine isn't perfect and we don't have a ton of info on young kids afaik, but we do have evidence that people with the vaccine at 14x less likely to die if they do catch Covid

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7206a3.htm

I think the biggest thing is we also have no idea about the long term effects of Covid still, but severe Covid has been seen to result in organ damage and all the terrible things that go with that

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351#:~:text=Organ%20damage%20could%20play%20a,long%20these%20effects%20might%20last.

And thing to lower the severity of Covid will be beneficial to your child, even if she catches it in the future.

@dianeblessed Thank you, and I appreciate the sources as I'm sure he will too. He genuinely wants to do the best thing for her. I think he's just been exposed to an overwhelming amount of information and has developed some distrust over medical and governmental entities during the heights of the pandemic.

@serenity777 My best understanding is that it’s not the spike protein itself which can cause myocarditis- it’s an overwhelming immune/inflammatory response to the spike protein. The myocarditis is seem more in adolescent males (the group with the biggest predisposition to this kind of over-active immune response)

So yes, she will probably get COVID at some point, it’s inevitable. When she gets it, do you want her to already have antibodies ready to fight it? Or, do you want the virus to potentially cause damage to her lungs in the days it takes to generate antibodies from scratch? Sure, most kids do fine, but more than a few ended up in the ICU.

@shusha Thank you for the response! His main concern is just the spike protein.

I think that's why he eventually agreed - when I made him aware it's the fourth largest killer of babies under 2 years old and there's pretty much no therapeutics they would be able to give her to fight it.

@serenity777 In the first study, 309 teenagers in Thailand were given the Pfizer vaccine and were monitored for 7 days. 29% of the teenagers had some symptom related to the heart (anything from a high heart rate to feeling funny in the chest). Only seven people had symptoms that were measurable in the lab. One person ended up with a mild case of myocarditis, and six more people had “suspected” peri or “subclinical” (aka extremely mild IF they even have it at all) myocarditis. All the cases were resolved and back to normal within 14 days of getting the vaccine. This study had no control group and that’s a really major flaw.

In the second study it says there is a correlation between myocarditis and the vaccine, then it says… “Nevertheless, the risks of myocarditis and pericarditis in COVID-19 vaccine recipients are still significantly lower than the health risks observed in patients with COVID-19.”

The third study you provided is a case study of 35 adults who died after getting a COVID shot. 5 of them had changes to their heart tissue that may indicate a reaction to the vaccine, but there’s no way to know that for sure. The 5 people were aged 46-75. It is not a well-designed study.

The second link is not a study, it’s a letter to the editor regarding an article that was published in another (more reputable) journal. This is just one person’s opinion (and it’s not very well-substantiated in the letter).

Just because something is published in a peer-reviewed journal doesn’t mean that it’s a well-planned study or that the conclusions are correct. There are many many journals that will publish whatever crap you send them, they make money by publishing.

@sam1986 Thank you for taking the time to sift through those. I just have not had the time to sit down try and read through them. I think my husband will actually appreciate your critiques! Honestly, I'm sure some random person just sent him a bunch of scary sounding studies in an attempt to dissuade him from getting vaccinated or getting our daughter vaccinated.

@serenity777 We got the first vaccine and then my baby got Covid so we didn’t bother with the second dose due to natural immunity. But it’s been almost a year now and we’re not sure we’re going to do the other dose.

My reasoning is: 1) the vaccine is not great at preventing infection anymore and 2) there is an unknown (but not zero) risk of serious side effects or other long-term risks from the vaccine itself and 3) Covid will keep mutating and vaccines will keep getting weaker. On the other hand, there are known (but very unlikely) risks of long term health effects after getting Covid. I’m a little bit like, why not just wait it out at this point. I guess I’m more scared of the unknown risk instead of the known but unlikely risk.

But on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being “I kind of dgaf” and 5 being “I live and breathe this opinion”… I’m like a 1.5. Feel free to poke holes in my reasoning and convince me otherwise!

@tezboski99 I’ve seen enough organ donors (ages 20-40) that died of a stroke within 45 days of recovery from mild COVID that my family and I will continue to get our booster shots (that are updated to reflect more recent variants).

And long-term effects are more common than you would imagine. cardiovascular outcomes - published feb 2022

I get that this data doesn’t include children, but any advantage my daughter’s immune system can get… I don’t know why I would pass it up. Safety has been evaluated.

@tezboski99 Can I just say how refreshing it is to come to this sub and read reasonable comments like this one? Youve got an opinion but youre willing to accept your reasoning could be flawed. Cheers.

@serenity777 So plenty of people have posted sci based evidence, I'm just gonna throw my anecdote out. The whole family had Covid this last fall. 2 year old? Seizure from the fever. 8 week old? Hospitalized due to fever. 2 year old was half vaccinated at that point, fully vax now. As soon as my daughter was eligible at 6 months she got her first dose. We have two down. I will gladly take anything that will minimalize any chance of them getting that sick again if they catch it again.

@agapegrace My newborn had Covid at about 6 weeks old. He had a fever for almost 10 days. We were told to go home and come back if he had trouble breathing. He got the vaccine the weekend the vaccine was available at our local children's hospital. Those 10 days were the worst days of my life.

@agapegrace A seizure from her getting too high of a fever is one of my biggest fears. So sorry you guys went through that. We've been hermits during this flu season because of this (she had the flu vaccine, but I was still nervous).

@serenity777 We had no clue what was going on, we picked him up out of his crib and he was just limp and wouldn't respond. We thought our baby was dying. It was the most terrifying moment of my life. Hands down.

@serenity777 Febrile seizures are very scary for the parents but they are self-limiting and pose very little risk of permanent harm for the child. They’re also preventable much of the time with appropriate care.

@sam1986 We have been told that if it ever happens again they are usually benign however, as far as prevention, not sure what we could have done. He had zero fever when he went to bed. Gave him ibuprofen anyway. Checked in a few times in the night. No fever. 6 AM, seizure.