Just found out husband of nearly 7 years has had an affair - we have a 3.5y/o and a 17m/o

@renegadelegion I haven’t been on either side but I can tell you my sister and her (now ex) husband went through this. My sister was the one who had the affair. She felt awful about it and came clean. Her husband said he could forgive her and they would work past it and get therapy. However, he did not forgive her or look past it, and he ended up refusing therapy. Any time they got into an argument, he would throw the affair in her face but then tell her how much of a good guy he was for forgiving her and looking past it.
My point is, if you want to try and work past it, do that. If you don’t think you can, leave. Don’t stay and use it as ammo for any future fight you get into.

@renegadelegion My husband cheated on me after I had our son 5 years ago. I was dealing with PPD, he was dealing with PPD. I was ashamed of my body. I gained more weight breastfeeding than I did carrying our son. Then his drinking got out of hand. He even got a dui.

I stayed with a friend for 3 days with our kid. I came back and told him I was going to tour an apartment. He broke down. And then I realized it wasn’t just me that was going through something after having this kid. I was no longer giving him attention because I was hated myself. Girls on Snapchat and at bars gave him attention and made him feel good about himself. His love language is touch and words of affirmation. I felt like he didn’t love me anymore, but I wasn’t communicating how I needed him to love me. All I would do is yell at him and talk down to him because I wasn’t drinking. And I was ashamed of my body so I wouldn’t touch him because I was embarrassed to have him touch me.

He stopped drinking (now he’s socially drinking again) and we learned how to communicate our needs to one another.

Divorce is expensive and if we divorced, I would lose my best friend. And at the end of the day, that is what he is. It took a long time to forgive him and trust him again. I don’t think he’d ever do it again, but recently (in the last month) - I’ve told him to go out there and get him some.
Because if he needs something I can’t give him - I want him to have it. My only rules are they can never meet our kid, it can’t be more than 2x with the same person, and he can’t text them sweet nothings like “good morning beautiful”

That’s not for everyone, and again, I highly doubt he would ever do anything again - but telling him he can have whatever he wants has honestly made him want me more and we’ve had more sex in the last 2 months than we had in the last year. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@renegadelegion My ex and I split after his affair came to light. Our daughter was 14 months old at the time and I was terrified of being a single mom, on top of the guilt of how traumatic it would be for my daughter to move and not see her dad every day. Leaving was the best thing I could have done for all of us. I’m happier, because I’m not with a self centered, lying man child that refused to acknowledge anything I contributed to the household, and I have free time now, something I NEVER had when we were together because my ex prioritized partying with his childless friends (and whores, apparently) to spending any quality time with our kid. My ex has become a good dad since the split, actually does things with our daughter now and cooks for her. I still provide the majority of her clothes and shoes, but he’s got her about 30% of the time and she loves seeing him. In the past year, my daughter has completely adjusted to having two homes where she feels safe and loved. There’s the added benefit of not growing up watching her dad devalue her mom, or her mom stay in a disrespectful relationship, she doesn’t see arguing, and she doesn’t live around tension. 10/10 would recommend being a single mom. It’s a rough adjustment, but with some good therapy and supportive friends and/or family (I have no family nearby but my daughters Godmother is a complete rockstar) a bleak and hopeless situation like this can become the best decision you’ve ever made.

You don’t deserve what he did to you. You deserve to find someone who would never, ever disrespect you, and for me, that started with learning to love and respect myself.

@renegadelegion Took him back time and time again. OP I don’t want to come off as harsh but he will do it again, don’t just stay for the kids, that’s what I did and deeply regret it due to the cheating and mental abuse I took myself for 8 years.

@renegadelegion Just here to say that I’m sorry this happened to you. Please take care of yourself and follow your gut. Maybe your gut tells you different things on different days - that’s ok! You’ll get through this and be stronger and happier!

@renegadelegion Sons Bio Dad was a serial cheater, for the last 2yrs of our relationship with the same woman.

He was emotionally abusive bc narcissistic etc other factors too off topic for this post but once he got physical with me, all it took was for the 2nd time he laid hands on me when son was infant.

Also he would just not come home at night and didn’t want to parent at all.

I separated and about 1.5 yrs later met my fiancé.
We are getting married this September.

In my experience; men who are willing to cheat on their wife, significant other and are also a father don’t seem to understand that by doing so it changes a-lot.

Trust becomes non-existent and they have to be willing to change because they want to be a good loyal partner not because they are threatened with losing the wife, gf and the family dynamic.

If you haven’t felt valued or appreciated in awhile and if you’d been lied to blatantly for some time…
You can approach your husband with the dear man conversation technique.

Give him a timeline on actually seeing changed actions and couples therapy will actually get the resentment and anger, and what he’s feeling or not feeling so much out in the open but again a lot of partners aren’t willing to do that and it’s expensive.

You can stay for your “kids” bc sometimes the fear of what you have to “lose” is scarier than the opportunity to start fresh and get rid of what’s no longer serving you in a loving healthy communicative way- or you can do the opposite and stay in a relationship where you don’t feel valued for the sake of the children and the whole image thing..
it’s really tough with society nowadays and with the fear of what family/friends will think or so when really who cares except what you feel and what YOU know is best for those little ones and for your mental health.

It can swing either way, but it seems many stay in it and are miserable without feeling loved and if you are like me and experiencing what I did-

My sons Bio Father treated me so horribly I use to feel MORE alone when I was “with” him and would silently cry myself to sleep most nights…
Then a wonderful thing happened and I moved on knowing my child and my self as a person would feel peace and that something more loving was in store for our future.

The level of how much peace and content I felt after no longer being with that man and then sleeping alone for awhile and being quite frankly very alone was better than when I spent my days walking on eggshells and always wondering if he was lying to me about anything or if he was going to come home etc.

You don’t want to let your husband think this behavior is acceptable and I think that making it clear hard boundaries are going to be established from now until what you decide is going to help you in the long-run.
If not, he could just think he’s been caught red-handed and “stop” but really cheaters tend to do it again as many of them don’t seem capable of being in a serious monogamous relationship.

Best of luck to you Mama, sending love, happiness for your present and future, strength and the ability to overcome everything you are dealing with right now.

Ps: everything you are feeling about the spared details is valid and go ahead and allow yourself to feel it all now and get it out rather than going into survival mode like I did and disassociating from it all.. only to have to deal with the pain and consequences of the trauma I dealt with later on once I allowed myself to be present enough to sort through the emotions.

ETA: also op my former relationship was in the similar in time amt you’ve been with your husband, I spent nearly a decade with my ex and successfully moved on only to meet my true soulmate even after I used to think he was the one despite how despicable his actions were.

@renegadelegion I have made it to the other side of divorce after 18 years together between dating and marriage. My daughter was 3 when I discovered his affair. But he had a history of questionable behaviors that I tolerated. I tried to keep us together because I didn’t believe in divorce. Eventfully I was forced to. What I can say is there are wonderful men out there that’s I’ll treat you how you deserve and will be amazing to your children. I have an amazing step father. But beyond that I found someone who makes marriage easy. Who is an equal partner. And five years after divorce my life is so much better than I could have ever imagined. One difference is I now know my worth. In getting remarried I realized how much I tolerated and normalized that I shouldn’t have. Divorce is scary. But know your worth and don’t settle for anything less.

@renegadelegion Even if you decide you stay now it will end sooner or later. And if it ends later rather than sooner you’ll regret ever staying. Because he will do it again. Don’t give a snake the chance to bite you twice.

@renegadelegion any way you think about it, your family will be altered. if you stay, you're children can and will sense the resentment (unless you have it in you to forgive AND forget). if you leave, you're breaking up a home (though it isn't really you that broke it). but i've seen first hand that having 2 parents isn't always automatically better.

with that being said, it's not just about your children. you have to think about your own health: mentally, physically, emotionally. when this situation happened to my friend, she essentially admitted that, "i already knew what i wanted to do, i was just so scared to do it that i tried to talk myself out of it". change is terrifying. but you have to be willing to be honest with yourself.

@renegadelegion I'm so sorry this happened! My sister in law found out her husband was cheating when she was 9 months pregnant (right before delivering the baby!). She was so broken but decided eventually to go to couples therapy together. They worked through all of their issues for two years and have been happy together ever since! She says it hasn't been an easy road but so worth it. I know everyone is different and I wish you strength in whatever path you choose. Good luck!

@flyerbo Yes - honestly a really great marriage so far, and I’m not a “fairytale relationship” type person. We’ve moved several countries together, worked together, and have been solid throughout. In January it felt like he started to detach from me and the family, and I put it down to pressure at work. Became very vacant and sleeping 7pm-7am most nights. Really checked out. Said he was doing the minimum to get by at work and felt like it was a performance or character he put on with other people and when he came home he could just …be.
All of that I understand, but the cheating part is very unexpected in that previously he’s always expressed his values that it’s cowardly and like, if you’re unhappy with your partner to just leave etc. it’s totally against his character and morals, even our close friends that I’ve told agree. It feels like he’s lost himself in depression or something and he was trying to feel something / anything. I know a lot of people here will think I’m stupid to believe it or accept it but obviously they are strangers to us both and there is massive complexity.

@renegadelegion Hi cousin -

From someone who was with a person I trusted implicitly, I was told “I loved you two differently.” Hindsight, I believe it. But in the moment? I was all but ready to throw him out, but I would have killed to believe that statement from him. He was a devout Roman Catholic, espoused how abhorrent he thought cheating was, a whole “holier than thou” because of me cheating years prior when we were dating. But when I found out he had carried on an emotional (if not physical - I’ll never know) relationship during our whole marriage and dating in the three years prior, and then registered for a FWB website and sent/received pictures? It threw everything I had into a new light.

Honesty. If you want to “start over”, you need unadulterated honesty from him. Or even to continue. But if he is attempting to save face, he may be still hiding something.

It took a therapy session for my ex to tell me he wanted a divorce. He was in the middle of a tirade about what I wasn’t doing at home, and the therapist asked him what he wanted and without a beat he said a divorce. Gave it to him. Felt like I was obliterated emotionally and I lost absolutely every warm fuzzy for him. He was no more to me than a roommate and it took a long time to be able to look back on our time and be thankful and even happy in some moments. But either direction is worth it, if you don’t give up so much of yourself to make it happen.

You’ve got this. 💜

@renegadelegion Run now. Once a cheater always a cheater. Try to be friends for the children’s sake but I don’t recommend staying in a marriage where there will be resentment it will be toxic for the kids. They are young now and won’t remember you guys together so now is the time to get out!

Back