How to handle a kid hitting your kid?

@niccole2011 A 9 year old slapped my two year old and then shat in the playground and walked around with his pants off. At a restaurant play area. It was fucking disgusting.

I pretty much yelled at the parents who were sitting scrolling on their phone. It was also the 4th child he hit that day. Told them he can’t be in the play area anymore, they literally didn’t care, could not of given less of a shit.

Some people just suck.

@niccole2011 You did exactly what I would mate. It happens. The most important thing is how we conduct ourselves as parents in those emotive situations.

My 4yo and his best mate got into a little kicking-and-hitting scuffle on a playdate recently. We (me and both mums) pulled them apart and had a bit of a time-out/ chat with them both before letting them play again. They are still best buddies.

Sounds like that dad has some inherited issues.

@niccole2011 You handled it correctly. You correct what you could but you have no control over a (likely abusive) grown man and his kid. Your job is to take care of your kid (check), keep her safe (check), make sure she understands what happened wasn't acceptable (check) and prevent the situation of escalating to something more dangerous (check).

Good job, you did well.

@niccole2011 You did good.

I hate it, but I'm getting to the point of "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" when it comes to talking to other parents about their kid's behavior. No matter how I try to bring it up, it always ends with ridiculous deflection and aggression.

There was a tiny kid riding his bike on the street in front of my house once. He was at a house where a lot of kids were playing together. I asked a mom that came by if she could help me to find his parents because he was being oblivious to traffic. She immediately became aggressive saying, "oh that's not my kid! He would never, etc." Like.. listen. I'm not even saying it's her kid, I'm just trying to resolve the situation safely.

We look over and there the kid is, going in circles in the middle of the street, right in front of a massive pickup. She freaks out and runs over to get him.

Turns out it was her kid.

@abazur Are you scared of everyone or what? I don't care if some random shitty Dad gets aggressive with me. I can protect myself, and also see fit to protect my kids and the kids of those around me, if necessary. If one shitty Dad and his near-fallen-fruit are causing issues, it's good to make them aware of it.

@kunmi Oh you can protect yourself? So it doesn't matter if this other guy gets aggressive with you around your kids because you will 100% for sure be able to safely handle anything this complete stranger could do after you've antagonized him.

Why are you so confident you can protect yourself? Are you a big guy? You've been in plenty of fights? Black belt? MMA? Do you carry a knife? A gun? What if this guy has a gun?

It's not about being scared of everyone. It's about keeping your children safe. Don't be silly, grow up.

@niccole2011 You can’t raise other people’s kids, and their parents.

You can control your environment and the lessons you teach your kids.

Unfortunately, it’s not the best among us having the most kids…

@akerman2631 I mean to be fair how many places still have play areas left it’s cfa or that sketchy McDonald’s that should have been closed down years ago for health violations

@lanzarus Yeah but Mickey D's doesn't openly market itself to the religious right-wingers who are the ones who would say shit like this clown said. OP handled the situation well but the best thing to do in the future would be to go to Raising Cane's or some other chicken restaurant.

@cbussey123 I didn't say anything about their politics, but rather their marketing choices. People love to vote with their dollars these days. I choose to not spend money at CFA; I'm sure others go there primarily to show their agreement with the bigoted things CFA stands for.

@georg I'm pretty sure people go there primarily for the chicken, like I do. It's delicious, regardless of your political leanings.

@georg I’m not saying op did anything wrong more commenting on the the pure fact that few restaurants still have play areas that’s all I didn’t mean for this to be anything more than that but it makes me fearful that you escalated a situation so quickly