How to handle a kid hitting your kid?

@niccole2011 You handled it right, but fuck wouldn’t it have felt great hold dude down and repeatedly smack him
On the head while telling him he earned it?

All seriousness though I’m so glad I’m not the only dad to a little girl that gets like this. If someone wants to be mean with me fine, but if you so much as frown at my daughter know that I’m resisting my urges for violence.

@niccole2011 Not the right thing to do but I’d be ready to kick that other dads head in away from the kids. I really worry about this happening and my ability in dealing with this stuff in a year or two

@niccole2011 Some parents just do be like that

Elementary teacher here. The entitlement is strong. There are parents where their kid never does anything wrong or it’s always someone else’s fault.

You keep doing you and raising your kid the right way.

@niccole2011 He is not wrong, my kid can slap a kid when other do it to him first.

But to assume your child hit his child first is a weird stretch especially when you witnessed it.

The kid did the right thing he said sorry, hope he learned something from you, just forget the dad.

@niccole2011 I personally really struggle with walking away. Especially when I'm in the right. And especially when a p£#* deserves a slap.

But when kids are involved it's the right thing to do even if it feels like the wrong thing to do.

Had to swallow something similar a few days ago and came very very close to hurting people. So pleased I didn't. Quite proud of myself even if no one else gave a f£&*

@niccole2011 In general I think you handled fine. The other dad didn't really have his act together it seems. The dad behaving like this is also a sign that this might not be the first time.

However, did you ask the boy or your girl WHY he slapped your child?

There might not have been any reasonable answer, but if yes, then this would be relevant. Even if no one should hit, especially someone younger and weaker. However, also no one should say mean things for example, so if you don't know the background you might have missed an educational opportunity.

To be clear, I am not accusing your daughter anything. However, I was teased a lot in kindergarden and school and I experienced that parents and teachers often value peace more than fairness. They don't have the energy and time to dig into each conflict, but imo when there is an opportunity it should be clarified what the conflict was about.

If I was the dad in question I would have made sure my son gets the message from me as well that it's not OK to hit. However I would have also asked him why he did it. And if it turned out that your daughter said something mean or hurtful to him I would have had some words with you as well.

That said: I think there probably wasn't anything hurtful that your daughter has said and the other kid was just an asshole. The dad's reaction is a giveaway, because he just asserts that your daughter "has earned it" without honestly trying to investigate. If that was the case and the father is unwilling to properly discipline his kid then I would try to distance myself and my child from them and if it happens again I would escalate it.

@niccole2011 You met a douchebag. Unfortunately he has already reproduced at least one more douchebag…

Best thing to do is not let this guy live in your head rent free. I do the same shit, bro! But really, he’s an asshole and HE’S the one who should be stewing about how he’s such an idiot for what he said.

@niccole2011 I think you did the right thing. The others guys first response about equal rights is a red flag man. A few things immediately stand out
  • 7 year old hitting a 4 year old
  • even if the boy isn’t 7, a boy hitting a girl
  • even if the boy was a girl, another parent not at least asking their child what happened.
  • You picking up a que that the other dad didn’t care
The best thing to do is separate yourself and your child from the environment after that first comment is made by the other daughter. Why risk an escalation over something that you know is wrong by responding to such a idiotic response. Maybe it’s me, but I feel like if anything else were to happen a second time, regardless of who is right or wrong, you could be put in a bad spot.

You made a comment to the boy that your daughter heard. In that moment you are reinforcing the lesson of not hitting others. You did not fail her, you made a her a better person.

A: don’t deal with people that don’t have the same morals.

B: In the moment of course your gonna be mad, just remember how you respond is what your daughter is picking up on. Keep your cool, burn off some energy in a productive way and be done with it.

@niccole2011 Yo did the best you could without escalating the situation good for you. Less calm people may have escalated the situation to violence and as you know, would have made the point you were trying to make, moot. You showed your daughter that you’re willing to stand up for her (even if she doesn’t know what’s actually going on) and set a good example for her, for the future. Good for you.

@niccole2011 Yeah, I think 1/10 times you'll get another parent being defensive about their childs behavior. If it was me as that dad I would appologize profusely lol and also say appreciate you telling me so I can follow up on her behavior

@niccole2011 You handled it better then I would of to be completely honest. Equal rights and Equal fights is such bullshit ESPECIALLY used to justify your young kids actions but then again I can see where he gets it from by the way his father handled. Well done op