Heart rate during cardio q

naleli

Hi all! I’m 15 weeks and have managed to work out normally this whole time. I’ve noticed the last few weeks though that when doing my cardio, I can’t get my HR into the cardio zone. It feels like my workout is just as hard, I’m just as sweaty, and I feel tired at the end, but 120 is about where I top out. I didn’t work out in my other pregnancies so I have nothing to compare to. Is this just because of increased blood volume, etc?

@naleli Second trimester is when your lungs start to get compressed by baby so you feel more out of breath and tired doing everything because the amount of oxygen you are getting is starting to get cut back.

In other words: completely normal and you are definitely pushing yourself as hard!

@naleli I noticed this as well, it was a lot harder to get my heart rate higher for a while there. Im now 17+6 and this week it seems easier to get into cardio range. Im not sure why, but I’ve done a lot more cardio minutes than in previous weeks with essentially the same workout plan. I just assume my body is doing its thing and do the best i can. I try to use my breathing, how i feel etc to guide me when im not sure my heart rate is a good indicator

@naleli I've noticed that too. I figured it was because the rest of my body is getting tired before my heart is. I used to be able to push a 4 minute mile on my bike, while consistently riding at 5 minute mile. Now, I sometimes have to push to get a 5 minute mile because my muscles are getting sore much sooner. I didn't take a break biking, so my fitness levels shouldn't have dropped. My heartrate had remained at what a 5 minute mile was, the rest of my muscles can't keep up

@naleli I did spin until I delivered with my second baby and had the same thing happen. I felt like I was pushing myself but couldn’t get my average HR up to what it was prepregnancy. I think it leveled off though, as in it didn’t continue to drop but just stayed around 140 as my max average from second trimester on.