D&E - done!

yscp

D&E Update: Feeling just fine now, chilling at home. Honestly, I already feel a good bit better than I have in weeks. The procedure was really not fun, but it was quick. I definitely felt a fair amount of pain, and it was annoying, because when I was obviously uncomfortable it made the doc want to stop...but the pain was never totally unbearable and I wanted her to make sure that she got everything out that needed to come out.
I was instructed to take Cytotec this morning (same medication that induced my labor with Ethan and which is often used to induce miscarriage or abortion) which would soften up my cervix and get things moving. I also got a Toradol injection to help with the pain a half-hour before the procedure. I was then led back into the exam room and we got the party started. As soon as the doc started, there it was - likely the offending piece of tissue, probably loosened up by the cytotec, on its way out. TMI: She let me see it, and it was gross. Probably between 1-2 inches long, about the size of a walnut. It's being sent to pathology so we can see what type of tissue it is. There were a few other things up there that she felt like cleaning out, so we kept going. I will say: numbing agent on my cervix didn't feel good. The vacuum machine and the curette did not feel good...but it was manageable. Lots of sharp pokes and some bad cramping while things were getting scraped/sucked out. Honestly, my HSG felt way, way worse, and I was expecting that level of pain again, so ultimately I was OK. I think Colin was more anxious than I was. Colin held my hand the whole time. Being a little loopy from a higher dose of Ativan (I took one when I woke up, and two more on the way to the doctor's office) helped a bunch, too. Once the doc was satisfied that she's gotten everything she needed to, my cramping immediately ceased and I honestly felt just fine.

Now I'm chilling here on the couch at home, feeling good and just keeping an eye on my bleeding, which is already drastically different from what it was before and really manageable. I feel no cramping at all right now, although that could be the Tordaol still doing its thing.

Truly hoping that the rest of my life starts today. We got sent immediately over to the MFM practice nextdoor to make an appointment for a consult with them in early December, and I'll call tomorrow back over to the fertility docs to ask about another consult with them in the new year so we can see what their plan will be for helping us try again. I really am finally starting to feel optimistic that THIS IS OVER. That could still be the Ativan talking, though...

Thanks for all the good vibes and support.

@yscp I prescribe hot showers, Netflix, snacks, and sweat pants for at least the next 5 days. Or, if you have Hulu, marathon yourself some Real Housewives.

@yscp I can't believe they had you awake for that! For mine, they gave me that twilight type shit. You're a stud to go through the all of it. I really hope it helps to have an and inbound, so you can look toward the future. You've been through enough!

@yscp Phew, I'm so glad it went well. I agree, this is the turning point and you are on the road to recovery and re-fertility (I made a new word) now. Take care of yourself on the couch :)

@yscp So glad it went well and that it's over! I really hope that this is the last of the shittiness for you, and that all goes super well from here on out!

@yscp Ativan or not, you ride that optimism all the way, woman! So glad you are already feeling better and the procedure went okay. All the best to you and yours, Mackie!

@yscp Told you your fresh start was just around the corner :) Glad you are feeling well!! Now just relax and take good care of my Mackie for me!!

@yscp I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm not sure what I should feel or hope for towards the results of the tissue sample. You've been the strongest woman ever for all you've gone through. You deserve peace of mind and a whole lot of rest. I look forward to seeing your updates. Especially the hopeful ones in January. ;)

@yscp Mackie, this is wonderful! ((((hugs))))

I'm glad the extra Ativan helped. I do love that drug! And I'm glad they gave you something good for the pain. Mostly, I'm just glad this is over and you can focus on recovering and moving forward - not on, just forward.

@yscp Relieved that it is all done for your sake...but surprised that they had you awake! I have had two d&c's and I was out for both of them...prayers and hugs for you

@yscp I'm glad you're starting to feel better and the D&E is over.

I'm sending good vibes and also hoping that this is the start of the rest of your life. You're such an amazing strong person and I really hope this is the last of the bad and the beginning of the good.

@yscp Was thinking of you this morning so decided to stalk your account, and so glad to see this update. You've been through hell but it's so encouraging to see you coming out the other side.

Back