When did you stop tracking everything for baby (e.g., nursing sessions, wet/soiled diapers, sleep duration, etc.)?

@christiangirl94 I said until 3-4months, but honestly, it was once we were able to figure out her "schedule"

When we tracked and she was crying, it was easier for us to figure out why. After a couple months we knew her better (as weird as that sounds) and didn't need to track.

Also helped us at the first few pediatrician appointments when they would ask questions about diapers, how much she was eating, etc. because we honestly would have had no idea at first.

@christiangirl94 Stopped tracking wet diapers after he was back up to birth weight honestly, but we were tracking his sleep and nursing until 6 months when he went to daycare and it was useless to track anymore. We used the Huckleberry app (free at the time) to monitor his sleep length and wake windows. Now it's much more go with the flow. If it's been 3 hours from his last wake up we will look for tiredness. Some days he refuses even a second nap now at 10 months old, so we would drive ourselves crazy trying to force him to follow specific wake windows.

@christiangirl94 I absolutely love tracking. My husband and I split duties for our little 4.5 month old guy, and it's really helpful for both of us to have something to refer to so we don't have to constantly update each other verbally if we're busy tending to our own tasks around the baby's sleep schedule throughout the day or working. (And we're just generally forgetful at times, so it's preferable to input a couple of figures on our phones during the session with the baby/immediately after which takes an easy 20-ish seconds.)

Our dude was having trouble gaining weight in the beginning, so tracking diapers and feeds helped us clearly navigate the situation and produce new strategies if a need for it became obvious. It also helped us be able to give the doctor an accurate synopsis of his stats.

At around 2-3 months we started being more diligent + detailed about tracking sleep as well. Rented a Snoo at 3 months, and the tracker helped us a ton with seeing how the Snoo affected his sleep patterns, since the Snoo's log is kinda lacking. It also helps us see when we need to tweak his nap structure (if he has reoccurring wakeup patterns), anticipate what his naps might look like for the day (if he got more or less night sleep), and identify potential growth spurts when looking at sleep coupled with feeds.

We like knowing stuff, if it's not glaringly obvious, lol 🤓🤓 It definitely gives us a clearer overall picture of what's going on with our little love muffin.

We use a Google Drive spreadsheet with diapers and feeds on one tab, sleep on another, and a bunch of other tabs, such as questions for our next doctor visit, various to-do lists, etc. It's so easy to start with a pre-made baby template online, customize it a bit, then let the file organically grow with your needs as you digitally organize the "being a parent" part of your life. This method helps us communicate so, so much about the baby so we can decide how much or how little to discuss him when we finally have a solid chunk of time together at the end of the day.

@christiangirl94 I’ll stop when it’s no longer useful. Right now it’s super useful for me and my husband to know how long it’s been between naps/feeds for when we hand over care - no need to remember to tell him something or visa versa.

We tracked nappies until about 3 months, but we’re keeping up with sleep, breast feeding, pumping amount, and any medications. We use the Huckleberry app (free version). Currently 4 months old

Back