What was the response when you asked for pain management?

urasuccess

The first 2 times I got an iud I was only told to take 800mg of ibuprofen. The third time at a planned parenthood, they gave me a heating pad and I realized there were more ways to help with the pain. Now that I’m considering getting the iud again, I’m wondering what kind of pain management you asked for, and what was the response you got? Also, if you happen to be a Kaiser patient please say so if you don’t mind (that’s where I’m getting mine)

Update: A commenter suggested that there is a list somewhere out there and I found it!:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...EoMbT0YGURk/edit?pli=1#heading=h.kj9mb57m0vgf

@sk8rkid831 I wish there was like a topical numbing sponge you could sit with. I feel like that combined with a heating pad at the bare minimum would help.
Also don’t get why laughing gas can’t be used when the effects wear off in minutes

@urasuccess I got nothing for pain management. They told me, and I quote “in the time it would take to numb you we could already have it in.” Once it was over I still had no meds or anything they just told me to take ibuprofen and to lay on the table for like 10 minutes before sending me home. I live in the US btw.

@dave32165 I’m in the US too😭 I almost passed out after the Mirena, and now I’m wanting to get the Paragard. And now that I’ve watched a video on what’s actually happening during the insertion….. 😳

@urasuccess Honestly the best I've done for self pain is a topical cannabis cream for my lower back. One of my friends made a coconut oil THC lube for hers but ....I'm not too confident about shoving coconut oil up my cooter. Also I no longer live in a state that allows legal consumption of THC so I wouldn't know how to solve that pain now. All I've ever heard was the same old line we get for cramps , bloating , and headaches.... OTC painkillers 😔

@urasuccess I have some trauma related issues with invasive procedures (anything more than a pap will be too much) so I specifically searched for an obgyn that would put me under general anesthesia for my copper IUD placement and she was fantastic. There are lists out there of obgyns that will accommodate patients, it's been a few years so I don't know where to find it but I know the child free type subs bring them up a lot because they are usually also better about doing tubal ligation on younger women and listening to their patients in general. To be honest I didn't even have very bad cramping after, I think by being relaxed completely while it happened I may have avoided some of the discomfort I would have experienced after.

@urasuccess I just got my IUD yesterday at planned parenthood. I took Aleve beforehand and I was very nervous since I thought they didn’t have pain management. When she was getting everything set up she said she was gonna do 3 lidocaine shots. I didn’t have to ask - it was just offered. She said they just started offering shots a few months ago. It really helped, I just felt sharp cramping rather than straight pain during the insertion.

@urasuccess I've never asked for anything but I took a combo of 600 of Advil and 10 mg oxycodone (script for my endometriosis). It helped later but I still felt some pain/cramping during the part where they do the uterine sound.

@atm23 I’m just so nervous to ask because I’ve gotten IUDs in the past and “survived” and I feel like they’re gonna use that to say they won’t do anything besides suggesting Advil. But the first time I almost passed out anytime I would try to stand and was there almost 2 hours(thank god I brought a driver). The second time was a smaller IUD and was still super painful, but I didn’t feel faint. And the copper IUD is the biggest one so I’m just beyond nervous about the insertion. And why why why did I look into the tools used in the insertion😫

What makes me really mad is if I was rich I could absolutely go to a private doctors office that takes pain management seriously, but I can’t pay out of pocket.

Needed a quick rant lol

@urasuccess I so understand:) I'm on medicaid, so I think that's also why I didn't bother asking. It sucks. I had to fight just to get the pain med for my endo. And it's barely enough to get by! The tools are scary!! I almost passed out too after I got my Mirena put in. I was white as a ghost!! Something about the whole procedure itself made me light headed. Are there any other options besides IUD? (Not sure if you need if for birth control or other reasons) Maybe something less invasive? I know there's never a great option...Imo we're still living in medieval times, as far as women's health is concerned. I've tried everything under the sun, except for nuva ring. I have nexplanon right now. It was a bit nerve racking getting it put in, but a much better experience than the IUD😵‍💫