MIL wants Medical Authorization Form for 13 m.o

@irisnicole8405 Nope, no thanks.

My MIL watches my son 3-4 days a week from around 9-5. On Sunday evenings he sometimes sleeps over and stays until end of day on Monday, and then he’s there all day Wednesday and Friday - and this is all for no reason other than she wants to spend that much time with him. The only time we have ever given her medical authorization is when my husband and I left him with her to go out of the country for 4 days. We wrote and made her sign a contract stating she only had the authorization for those days… but every other day? We’re so close that if anything were to happen we’d be able to handle it ourselves.

I absolutely would not be giving her this form. It doesn’t sound like it’s necessary at all.

@irisnicole8405 Both my mom and MIL have watched my kids for 3+ days on separate occasions and we never did this. My mom is super into forms and rules and details, and my MIL works for a major hospital system, so if between the two of them we didn't get this form done it's totally non essential.

All we did is put them on emergency contact and HIPAA releases at the doctor's office and the daycare, plus we warned the daycare that the grandmas would be coming, and everyone was groovy. For the moms I provided a list of the kids doctors and their contact info just in case, but we've never needed it.

But then my mom and MIL have healthy boundaries! They tell us whenever the kids might need medicine and give detailed accountings of what they did each day.

@irisnicole8405 My mom watches my son 3 days a week for 8 hours and MIl watch him the other 2 days. If something were to happen one of us could drop everything and come home to grab him. If you want to stay civil, just say that no auth form is necessary. Just play it like you assume she didn’t know better. Also call your pediatrician to reiterate that info are to be reported to mom and dad only. They do know but if you explain more sometimes they’ll write down in the quick notes if there are special family circumstances

@irisnicole8405 Absolutely no, but I wonder if she would then just try to get your husband to sign it.

Also, 13 is old enough to stay alone, esp ifyou're 20 minutes away and she has a phone. Take it from GenX!

@irisnicole8405 Nope.
We had to have MIL watch my kid for the first year and it was so stressful. A lot of the same issues, anything I said was wrong she knows better since she’s raised kids etc.
we couldn’t afford paying for childcare, after that I just took some time off until she was able to get into prek.
I did end up getting something part time when hubby was home and we managed that way. A lot had to be budgeted but I rather have that then the stress of someone else

@irisnicole8405 Sounds like what she’s really after is a way to take your daughter to the pediatrician herself because she either isn’t satisfied that you’re telling her the truth or thinks she can get better answers out of the doctor than you can. Hard, hard, HARD no. I wouldn’t let her watch your baby anymore, either, if you have an option. I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it, I’d just quietly send her to someone else

@irisnicole8405 No no no. She does not need this form. This sounds like red flags and overstepping boundaries. And her behavior just sounds like an extra stressor you don't need. I would be putting her in daycare as a one year old at this point. She will interact with other children and if in fact she has any developmental issues then you are more likely to be hooked up with social services etc. I think Grandma has proved she's a pain in the ass and it is time to move on. Don't sign that form. Possibly consult a lawyer about her ASAP.

@irisnicole8405 That’s one thing that really makes me wild. Anyone giving a baby/child that isn’t their’s something and not asking first. My SIL has done shit like this. At not even two months old she decided to give my daughter over an ounce of well water. My daughter was constipated and she believed this to be the answer. Coming from someone who had her kids over two decades ago. I had to find out from my husband. Ever since then I just don’t trust her with the baby. Given that you can easily leave work if an emergency comes up, I 100% not allow this! I would also no longer feel comfortable with her as child care!!

@irisnicole8405 Sorry to say this but you really should consider putting your child in a nursery or something…if she is seeing this as a second chance at being a mother it can turn toxic very quickly especially if she doesn’t tell you if she has given your child ibuprofen etc.

@irisnicole8405 Abso.

FUCKING.

lutely.

NOT.

Daycares do not require this. If there is an emergency the child will go get care. If not a parent comes to pick the child up from care and takes them for medical treatment, be it urgent care or a pediatrician.

Noooooooope.

@irisnicole8405 I'm a grandma and we watch our gran daughter often, including if our daughter and son in law are working or are further away. My granddaughter's doctor has it on their records that I can get medical care and be the person in charge of her medical care with no restrictions. But my daughter and son in law have no reason to worry about us seeking care without their consent and knowledge (and we never have). The other grandmother also has this privilege.

My granddaughter was a preemie and also at the low end of the scale (but doing amazing). I feel better knowing that I could take care of my granddaughter in an emergency. Especially that I could authorize pain meds if necessary which would likely not be given as part of stabilizing her. It would kill me to stand by helpless in an emergency situation. In an emergency, I will make the decisions in her best interests, not a doctor or emt. Will it ever matter? I hope not. But I'm glad that I have it. My first call would always be to 911 and my second would be to her parents.

But I am also free to give my granddaughter Tylenol if I think it is warranted without asking first. Of course, I always mention it at pick up or text my daughter/son in law about it so they know but I don't have to ask first. Honestly, I would feel belittled if I had to ask first. (In reverse, I am always told if she has had Tylenol in the last 24 hours before we take her so there is no chance of inappropriate dosing)

Do you feel like your mother in law has your daughter's best interests at heart? Is she just genuinely worried about her? If so, could you put those fears to rest by bringing grandma to the next well visit?

I wouldn't give her medical authorization if you don't feel good about it of course but if you are leaving your child with her regularly, you must trust her? If she isn't telling you about medications given, that is not ok, obviously and has to change.

It sounds like there is some mistrust on both sides. (Not saying this is your fault in any way) If she is going to continue to watch your little one, it sounds like a kind conversation is warranted. She might be guarded at first but if approached as a valued family member, and someone who you are grateful for because she helps you, and loves your daughter, you might be able to get at what she is worried about and figure out a way together to put aside those fears.

No, I wouldn't give her the medical authorization at this point until you are confident about it. You are the mom. Following your instincts is one of the best tools a mom has to keep your child safe.

There are so many parents in this forum who have no one to count on, grandparents who are abusers, etc. You have a grandparent willing to care for your child several days a week and who worries about her. That is a gift. It sounds like the relationship needs some tending to maybe.

Now I'm going to say something that I might get lambasted for.....my opinion is that you should not leave it only to your husband to deal with this. Your relationship with her is important too in the trust building process. Again, not to say that you have done anything wrong at all but if grandma asked your husband for the authorization, and not you, she might not feel that comfortable with you. If she isn't telling you about a simple dose of ibuprofen, she is afraid that you might be critical about it. You probably did nothing at all to make her feel that way but sometimes, we feel what we feel, right? Can you see behind the current situation and build a better relationship with her that is separate from including your husband? This could be as simple as asking her out to lunch once a month and telling her thank you for taking such good care of your baby.

I hope you can take this as an opportunity to fix a family relationship that should be more solid.

@irisnicole8405 No. Don't even explain to her. There's no need for it.
If your daughter has something that requires medical attention, MIL can call you. If it truly is an emergency, she can call 911 and then call you.

Back