I think I was threatened at work today

@monroedm Human rights is a subset of employment, no? Yes this is potentially constructive dismissal, but also discrimination (which is why I suggested human rights). Most employment lawyers do human rights stuff as well - I’m not referring to Amal Clooney type HR lawyers.

Edit to add - family status and pregnant/nursing are protected grounds. I have practised in employment law before.

@gracee0510 She is in the US so she would need an employment attorney. It’s been a while since law school but from my recollection pregnancy/nursing is not a protected class in the US and therefore not discrimination. If it was discrimination we call them “civil rights” attorneys in the US not “human rights”. Here human rights attorneys are the Clooney ones! Ha!! There are employment laws that can help her though.

@monroedm Ah, different terminology. I’m shocked family status isn’t a protected ground … that seems crazy. I wrote the first comment without knowing she was American. Makes sense.

@diamondoutofdust Don’t be scared. Stand up for yourself. She is putting herself in a bad situation. If you get fired the settlement will be huge. You are a mom now. Time to get brave

@diamondoutofdust Advice?

Send a wonderfully kind follow up email that summarizes your experience:

Hi, Janice,

Thank you for meeting with me to discuss the conditions of the pumping room provided.

From our conversation, it is my understanding that no space without chemicals or a chair can be provided, and that if I am to seek these accommodations it will require a medical professionals assessment, otherwise I should plan to be terminated or quit.

I was surprised by the course of conversation, I am sorry it was so upsetting for you. It was shocking to be spoken to as though I am unreasonable or faking a need to pump postpartum.

I appreciate your guidance and support as I undergo this journey and look forward to a strong and psoriasis working relationship moving forward.

Then go to HR and find an attorney.

@diamondoutofdust You may want to consider contacting your state EEOC and filing a complaint for discrimination since the Pump Act falls under their purview. But an employment lawyer can help you write a good letter to them too. Actually, you should at least have a consult with an employment lawyer and talk to the EEOC.