I think I was threatened at work today

@veryveryblessed Where are you seeing that the PUMP Act goes into effect next Friday? I was reading up on it, and everything I could find about rollout was saying that it went into full effect on April 28, 2023. Would love more accurate info, if you have a link!

@veryveryblessed Thank you for sharing this! I had no idea that this law was going into effect. I have been watching and waiting for the day that they extend federal laws to cover more than just FLSA non-exempt employees. This is huge!

@diamondoutofdust Employment attorney here - call her bluff. She will lose her job before you. Not only does US make it mandatory on the federal level, many states have their own laws provide protection for nursing/pumping in the workplace. This is what I would tell anyone coming with these facts:
  1. Draft an email to your director and HR. Reiterate what exactly happened at the meeting and seek clarity that your director is requiring a doctors note to allow you to pump at work.
  2. Contact an employment attorney asap. They will not bill you and will take your case on contingency. (Depending on the state, I have a lot of referrals)
  3. Communicate with your employers/superiors in writing as much as possible going forward.
Not only is what your director is saying totally illegal, it will cost the company a real pretty penny to make such a lawsuit go away. A competent and zealous attorney can honestly even turn this into a class action representing all nursing/pumping moms at this workplace.

Bitch is crazy. I don’t care how old you are or if you never had kids, why the hell would you force someone to sit in a janitors closet, boobs exposed?? I swear so many employers just lack basic humanity.

@lmhall Thank you for your response!! So helpful and supportive. Feel really hopeful I can figure out something to buy myself enough time here to not end up having to dip into my savings to cover bills while I figure something else out. I did send an email right after the meeting, basically recapping what she said because it was all so fucked up. I tried to be diplomatic about it, but there’s only so much you can do with someone basically telling you to quit. If you have any recommendations for lawyers in MD or DC also I would definitely love that.

Two questions:
1) Does it matter that other employees in the same situation are treated differently and receive different accommodations? One employee even told me that she used to go home to pump (last year) because she lived like 10min away. I brought this up in the meeting today and she cold said she “wouldn’t comment on personnel matters”

2) What should I do tomorrow? I’m supposed to be on site for 12hrs and don’t want to not pump but am terrified of being aggressively confronted.

That closet is such a bad vibe. She would not eat her lunch in there. There’s a small utility sink that had standing water in it for like two weeks—like hair and crap, someone had clearly clogged it trying to clean a mop or something. Employers suck but I feel like ever since the panorama people have lost their damn minds and will just treat people any type of way

@diamondoutofdust Take photos of the closet in its current state.

When asking for clarity via email, make sure you forward a copy or blind cc your personal email.
Don't be confrontational in the email.

Do not quit. If they try to fire you it will be worst case scenario for them.