I think I was threatened at work today

@rozlynnwallace Unfortunately I struggle with my supply and lug around a giant Medela Symphony which doesn’t even have a car plug adapter available. I went out to Target and bought a Willow last night, but when I tried it for my first pump when I woke up, it wasn’t great/I got half of what I usually do, so back into the closet I go 😫

@sabresong Yeah it’s horrendous. I’m blessed that at my other job I use the NICU and so I just have to bring my own parts and tubing, lugging this giant finicky beast around is the bane of my existence

@diamondoutofdust Hey I could only use the symphony, but then the baby Buddha changed my life! It’s as powerful (if not more) than the symphony—drained me faster and I can use medela or spectra parts to hack it. The 10th pull on massage mode is intense, but you can toggle to let down mode if it’s too mubc. Highly highly recommend

First step: employment lawyer, second step: buy a baby Buddha

ETA: Can also rig it to wearable cups. I have slightly less yield with them bc I can’t compress/massage, but they’re nice when you can’t have flanges sticking out

@lmhall Just for my own curiosity— what happens if OP emails and cc’s HR and if HR is competent they don’t respond to avoid confirming or retract what the director said and make changes— then does Op have a case bc HR “fixed it”?

@rebecca25 Employers can still be in legal hot water even if they fire the offending employee because OP should never have experienced this situation in the first place. Any sort of managing staff should be trained on what’s appropriate or inappropriate and so that still falls on the employer. Also, even just having to hire outside counsel to deal with just the threat of litigation is very expensive. If they have insurance against litigation the insurer is likely going to want to settle immediately. Litigations easily get up to hundreds of thousands of dollars even before you get to the actual trial.

@rebecca25 In HR and I disagree with the other poster - if the employer actually fixes the issue, there isn’t much of a legal case.

If the company has proper policies and training in place, they fix the situation immediately upon being informed, and they do something about the offending employee, OP getting a settlement because one employee said something wrong just isn’t going to happen.

@rebecca25 You cc HR, not because they will do something, but to show the court that this company had knowledge of the alleged illegal conduct. Sure, HR could step in and make changes, rectify the situation, but if OP gets terminated because she asked for her rights because old lady Karen is out to get her, then she still has a case regardless.

@lmhall This. I will add for anyone else reading, if someone wants to have a meeting/phone call/Zoom instead of communicating in writing your best bet is to take notes and then send them an email ASAP once finished with bullet points detailing your understanding of what went down. This is the best way since the timestamp will mean it was fresh in your mind, and the recipient has the chance to clarify, but if they said something stupid illegal you still have some kind of written record even if they try to backpedal.

@lmhall Slightly OT, but as a fellow employment attorney - can you explain why you would take this on contingency? I would tell OP to be prepared to pay for a consult and expect to just get advice, not an offer to rep unless she actually lost wages.

@joseph30 Maybe it varies by state. In my state, plaintiffs-side attorneys (PI, employment, labor, etc.) take all their cases on a contingency basis. I have never asked for a consultation fee nor do I bill my clients hourly. It’s been like this at every firm I’ve ever worked at in my state. It’s also like this, from what I’ve heard from colleagues, in many other states like NY. Very rarely do people charge hourly for these kinds of full blown lawsuits as the majority of plaintiffs do not have thousands to front, and firms understand the value of a case like this can range from high hundred thousands to millions. It benefits all parties to take cases like this on contingency.