I think I was threatened at work today

@diamondoutofdust Was this verbally conveyed to you?
I would reach out via email and highlight everything she said.
Dear xx,
Thank you for meeting with me today concerning pumping milk for my baby.
I would like to reiterate was was said in our meeting. You stated:
-you felt like I was wasting company time when I am pumping
-i am causing issues because I asked for a clean dedicated pumping spot
-etc, etc

Thank you for your time,

Xx

You need a paper trail!

@hotpinty Yes, I like this, except instead of “reiterate” I’d go with a statement like, “Your feedback regarding my proposed solutions to my ongoing need to pump milk for my baby is noted, specifically, [put everything she said]. Thank you for taking the time to meet with me.” To reiterate can mean to clarify or emphasize, and we don’t want to imply on any level that there was room for interpretation or clarification of what she said. She was crystal clear about wanting a lawsuit.

@diamondoutofdust Other commenters have given you really great advice / legal standing! So I just wanted to chime in and say, what a bitch. May she stay a single, miserable wench.

You have allll the rights to pump milk (FOOD) for your baby! And in a place that you would prepare any food in a sanitary manner (so also, a bathroom is absolutely not an option if they present that to you because it’s a waste disposal room and therefore, unsanitary for food prep. Breastmilk is food).

I hope that when you address this again you know how many of us are virtually standing behind you with our arms crossed ready to back you the fuck up! Good luck!

@diamondoutofdust So being the snippy bitch I am, I’d probably pump out in front of everyone. Of course cover up during the getting everything on/off to not flat out flash people and I’d make sure I’m in direct line of site with the director.

You are protected by federal law. Go to HR/owner of the company. Record everything in writing. Get it in email that you are expected to use a janitorial closet that is unsanitary and no other solution is offered. You won’t need a lawyer, just the threat will be enough.

@diamondoutofdust Ahh I love it when a boss volunteers for a lawsuit.
Email her back, asking for express clarification (via email) regarding the pumping situation. Repeat what you thought she communicated, that there is no space for a proper pumping room; that your concerned that she's called your intentions into question; and that she's expecting a doctors note to confirm you are pumping; inquire again about how this is an impact on business. Get he to reply back. Then take it to an employement lawyer because nobody is allowed to attack you for pumping. It's discrimination

@diamondoutofdust I would follow up with this request via email. “Are you saying that the org is unwilling and unable to accommodate my needing a space to pump” and include as much detail as possible about what she said. Then take it to HR.

@diamondoutofdust You don’t need a doctors note to pump. Contact HR yesterday. I’m fond of the “I’m confused, can you clarify” type letter.

Dear HR, my boss told me that I need to have a doctors note saying that it’s necessary for me to be able to pump. Otherwise i will not be allowed time to pump during my work hours.

This request was prompted by my questioning being asked to pump in a janitors closet which is not clean, has no place to sit and does not meet any of the criteria I was lead to believe are required by law for breastfeeding mothers.

Can you please clarify what I should do going forward?”

@diamondoutofdust I'd just recommend reviewing the Instagram account "themamattorney". Employment attorney in California who represents a lot of mothers/women dealing with discrimination. She has a lot of posts and infographics about different, yet common, scenarios. Pumping is definitely one of them.

@diamondoutofdust I just want to offer solidarity. When I was pumping after my first my agency was a nightmare to deal with even though I had a great supervisor, even he was like "well technically we only have 47 employees right now so we don't have to accommodate this." I got walked in on countless times no matter if I had a sign, once I was even in a locked office and was walked in on, and none of the spaces were a place I would want to eat. The US doesn't really give a shit about working moms (or mothers in general I suppose.) They wonder why the birth rate is dipping.

@idolcarazy Yeah honestly if this were my primary employment and I was here for more than 2 days a week? As a single mom I would switch to formula before I let myself get fired over this. I personally don’t concern myself with how others feed their babies, but this is really a sobering new perspective on ‘breast is best’