breastfeeding 2 day old

@divinemarissa Interesting! It’s too bad we don’t have any definitive evidence given that moms are constantly pushed to supplement almost immediately (especially nicu babies who desperately need the benefits of colostrum).

@jimishasmom It hasn’t been debunked. They’re both promoting pretty dramatic overfeeding practices that have been scientifically proven to contribute to obesity in babies and children.

@badlydrawnshirts Just an fyi none of those sources say there is a definitive size of a newborns stomach. They just say that the “marble sized” example hasn’t been proven. The last source isn’t even relevant to the discussion.

@josephjurg 20 - 30 mL of formula ≠ nutrient and fat content of colostrum. You can also overfeed your baby.

You are promoting overfeeding.

Overfeeding was categorized as any feed greater than or equal to 30 ml on any of the first seven feeds while controlling for birth weight.

This study is from 2020. It hasn’t been debunked by your personal experience. I’m glad your babies are healthy and that it worked for you, but let’s stop spreading misinformation

@agapeos1080 Did you read that whole study? It says overfeeding on day 1 is considered 30 or more. As I stated 5 ml is not enough - but 20-29 ml (according to your source) is within the adequate expected.

@deborahallen Overfeeding is equivalent or greater to 30mL not just day one, but through day seven. Feeding 29 mL isn’t “adequate,” it’s still too much it simply isn’t within the scope of the study leading to obesity.

@agapeos1080 That study you just linked is reporting on EBF vs. combo feeding vs. EFF ratios over 3mos not on supplementing in the early days. The mothers who breastfed also had normal BMIs and no C-sections, which could skew results. The other article is literally all about how infants were fed in their first day of life. It does not at all talk about later days.

@quangqui007 I had this same worry
first time mom as well I have a 3 month old.
Keep latching your baby the baby will do what baby needs to do and that is to pull your milk down. it’s gonna hurt even if baby latches on right but your nipples will toughen up to get used to the aggressive suction from the baby.
Massage your breasts gently with a warm towel to help the milk flow down as well so your newborn doesn’t tire themselves out and can’t fill up. warm showers help drinking warm stuff helps. Also the most important thing is do not stress over this you are doing great keep latching your baby! And lactation consultants are always there to help :)

EDIT: I also read comments about formula, if you are comfortable using formula by all means go for it do not feel bad at all that your baby is not drinking from your breast. when baby goes to sleep and if you can, try pumping out the milk. Do not feel bad at all you’re gonna be a great mother to your baby this is your baby and you decide how to nurture and feed your baby. do not let people make you feel bad for whatever route you take and everyone is gonna tell you to do it a certain way but be kind thank em for their suggestions and gently remind them this is your baby not theirs
:) good luck on your breastfeeding journey and congratulations

@quangqui007 This is totally normal! Night 2 is the hardest and constant nursing is expected. Is baby meeting diaper goals? That’s your best sign that they’re getting what they need.

My son was jaundice so they had me hand express colostrum after feeding incase they needed to record how much he was taking. If it would reassure you, you can hand express and feed baby with a spoon, but I would do this after nursing since nursing is the goal. Their tummies are super tiny right now!

@quangqui007 IMO we supplemented a little with formula, but yes keep feeding your milk will come in. I know people say supply goes down but an ounce or two isn’t probably going to do that - at least it didn’t for me. I now over supply.

Back