breastfeeding 2 day old

@quangqui007 Just keep latching as often as baby wants! It is great for both of you and the more you latch, the more signals it sends to your body to make more milk! The first few days can be overwhelming but put your trust in babe and your body! Your bodies know what to do!

@quangqui007 This is so normal. I feel like we’re made to feel like there’s something wrong or that we’re doing baby a disservice because they seem hungry (in laws saying I was starving baby and making me feel like crap instead of supporting my BF). Of course they seem hungry, they’re supposed to be attached to us around the clock in early postpartum to help encourage our milk supply. Especially on day 2, I wouldn’t worry. I was encouraged to supplement and gave baby maybe 2 or 3 bottles but then realized she was fussier on the breast so I stopped. My milk came in on day 4 and we have been EBF since. Just hang in there, be persistent, your milk will come!

@lvsjesus the in laws part oh my god. my parents visited and kept commenting on how hungry he looked it was absolutely the worst feeling. thank you for all the information!

@quangqui007 It’s so hard!! As others have recommended, just try to maximize your time with baby +/- your partner, without interruption from outsiders. Parents are well-intentioned but they are pretty out of the loop when it comes to taking care of babies, especially if they didn’t even breastfeed themselves. You’ve got this

@quangqui007 It’s also OKAY to supplement. My little one had jaundice, I didn’t sleep for 4 days (labor and hospital stay and baby issues eating) my milk took 5 days to get in, baby was miserable I was losing my mind. Literally nearly hallucinating. I was unwell. He was peeing crystals. Pediatrician gave us a little ready to feed formula and I supplemented. I would let him latch and feed AT LEAST every two hours and every time he fed. My supply finally came in and even been breastfeeding for months now without issues. The little formula allowed him to be happier, more alert to breastfeed AND allowed me 3 hours to sleep. I was on a fast track to PPD with that sleep deprivation. A little formula saved all of our sanity.

@stableboy77 Totally agree with this 100%. Everyone kept telling me my baby's stomach was the size of a cherry, well her stomach must've been bigger than that because she cried CONSTANTLY that first night in the hospital, I got zero sleep. I did a little bit of formula to help her get comfortable, still nursed around the clock and my milk came in on day 3 when I went home. I think being home helped my milk come in because I could relax and not get woken up every hour 🙃

@cliffrose My lo was born little and even had glucose he’ll pricks to make sure he was eating and processing sugar and he STILL needed formula even though they said he was ok. Trust your mama gut. We had one night at home and immediately moved up his two day visit. I nearly passed out at the pediatricians office we were so exhausted

@quangqui007 Count the dirty and wet diapers. Babies cry a lot after being born. Imagine what they went through. Comfy, cozy, and warm with all of their needs immediately met. Safe in mom’s tummy. Then they are squished and crunched by the uterus for several hours, squeezed through the birth canal, or violently yanked from mom’s tummy, into a loud, cold world.

It’s a jarring experience. Of course your baby cries.

24/7 skin to skin. Constantly latch. Your boobs aren’t just food. That’s their whole world. They still think you’re the same person.

A newborn’s stomach is tiny tiny tiny. They don’t need a lot to be satisfied but they do need to feed frequently. They also need to request milk often to encourage your milk to transition.

@jimishasmom The "tiny tummy" theory is often told to new parents by lactation consultants and nurses in mother/infant. I don't believe it's science based. Even nicu babies who are first born are expected to take 20-30 ml. After day 2 they're expected to take 45-60 ml already.

@deborahallen Because babies tummies are stretchy, they get a bigger amount of 20-30ml of formula and then begin to expect it. It is biologically normal for term healthy babies to have only colostrum and to lose weight during those first days and to then be back to birth weight by 2 weeks or so.

@jimishasmom Nope she's correct. Both my babies were early and needed supplementing and we're taking 20 to 30 ml the day they were born. Super normal and the tiny tummy has been debunked. Second night syndrome happens because the baby is hungry and most people don't have milk till day 3. Also milk coming in is hormone based and has nothing to do with baby latching at all.

@josephjurg And no. Milk can transition based on hormones but the QUANTITY of milk is still driven by demand. Btw; colostrum is milk and the vast majority of women produce it beginning in the second trimester.

@josephjurg Can you link research saying it’s been debunked? Every country uses this standard that I’m aware of. Hospitals make policy based on risk assessments, not evidence in many instances.

Back