Nurse told me to stop breastfeeding at night

@amandak695 Skip nurse and, if you have resources, talk to a feeding therapist. IMHO goal should not be to take away BF but increase intake of solids, and feedings should naturally lessen overtime

@amandak695 I let me EBF baby eat solids whenever she wanted them (offered frequently during the day), and then let her BF whenever she wanted to. Started on solids around 6 months. She really didn’t eat much solids during the day until around maybe 10 months. Then she basically self weaned at almost 12 months and now only BFs when she wakes up at night, usually 2 times a night.

My baby also stopped gaining weight completely when she started moving. She moved so much and grew taller but didn’t put on any weight for around 3 months straight. She was eating and I BF her on demand so I knew she was getting food she needed/wanted. They just burn a lot of calories when they start moving.

My now 13 month old is still a lean bean but definitely within her weight and height and totally healthy.

Trust your gut mama.

@amandak695 I think (& I am no expert) that like with many things babies will lean into it when they're ready. My first baby didn't love solid foods, we started at 6 months and she always spit out most of her purees until about a year when she was really interested. This baby started solids at 4 months (due to reflux issues) and she LOVES them, slaps the high chair tray if we take too long between bites lol she's 5 months now and is very interested in what we're eating and drinking. We're still night nursing here too but it seems to be more for comfort than hunger. I'd continue night nursing but maybe also offer the foods she recommended

@amandak695 I would keep breastfeeding.
I kind of had the same issue with my daughter who had a preference for breast milk, over solids.

At our 9-month meeting, our pediatrician told me to continue breastfeeding day/night, to still propose solids And NOT to worry because before the age of 1 milk is the main source of energy.
She started to really appreciate solids around 13 months. And I still breastfeed, sometimes even at night.

@amandak695 My now 10 month old night weaned himself at 8 months. Just stopped and waking up and needing to eat. But like you said you don’t want to ignore your baby when he’s crying, especially when he’s right next to you. Mine just stopped needing that feed but if what you’re doing is working then that’s good too! If you want a suggestion though, you could try and just comfort him on the earlier feed at night or make a clock time where you won’t feed him before that but you can still comfort him. Increasing fats during the day is a good idea to try and keep him full longer too! And even just offering breast milk more during the day. At 9 months going overnight without feeding will not effect your supply.

@amandak695 Do whatever you would like to . My pediatrician told me to wean at night at 12 months due to tooth decay risk. Apparently he doesn’t know the nipple goes all the way to the back of the tongue and the milk doesn’t touch their teeth unless you use a bottle then it does. Also milk has antibacterial properties which I learned this morning! ALSO some babies like solids a lot and some don’t so your LO may want to bf more and just sample solids and that’s perfectly ok. The WHO recommends bf until 2 years old now. My son eats a lot of solids but still bf 1-2x per night at 15 months and I have learned to follow my instincts. I take everything his dr says about bf with a grain of salt and do my research afterward. Your LO is doing what’s natural and instinctual and unless you personally want to wean I wouldn’t listen to them. Just keep offering a variety of solids with no pressure. I think making baby hungry at night will not solve making them eat more during the day. Also like you mentioned they may thin out and then fatten back up multiple times while they are growing. Unless it’s a serious drop in percentile as some prior posters have mentioned I wouldn’t worry

Back