Unmedicated birth advice

@catholic2001 I had a little spring my therapist gave me for panic attacks, basically just a grounding tool similar to the combs people use. I just focused on that and breathing through contractions, had a pretty fast labor so that helped.

@catholic2001 Hypnobirthing helped me a lot to relax but you have to practice it a lot during pregnancy (or at least I found it helpful to do so). Start as soon as possible. Body ready doesn’t seem to be as mentally focused so I would also do a mental prep like hypnobirthing not just body ready

Also keep in mind the sensation might not be the same this time. Plenty of people find it much more enjoyable the second or third time around because they are less afraid (fear and tension causes pain).

@catholic2001 I had an epidural first birth, a c-section second birth (twins), and whopping 9lb10o, all natural, sunny-side-up birth with my last. My biggest tip is to wait as long as possible to go to the hospital. Seriously.

First of all, you're more comfortable at home so the pain won't be so amplified. You'll have your comfort objects. Once you get to the hospital, it's a foreign space for your body, and filled with strangers. There's not much to focus on but pain and hospital walls. It can get you thinking about it too much.

EAT before you go to the hospital, but only if you're hungry. This varies by mom and by birth, but since many hospitals restrict your eating once you arrive, it's important that you don't arrive to the hospital hungry. You need your strength. Since you waited as long as possible to go, you'll have less time in the hospital losing your strength and unable to replenish it.

I wanted a natural birth with all of my babies, but only managed with my last one. I changed my mind and asked for an epidural once I got there, though, despite my own wishes, I didn't think I could do it.

Luckily for me, it was too late. She was coming too fast, and my contractions were too strong to keep a rounded back for the epidural. So I had my natural birth in spite of myself. And it was horrifying and glorious and powerful. Good luck with yours! You can do this!

Everyone else has GREAT mindset suggestions and tips to get through the pain, but my suggestion is more of a roadblock to keep you from backing out when you possibly think you can't do it anymore.

You CAN do it, but sometimes our mind will lie to us and tell us we can't, and I at least need that inability to back out as an ace in the hole. I'm thankful it was impossible for me to try to back out! (Although I was screaming to my bestie as my baby was crowning that I can't do it and that I was going to go home for the whole hospital to hear!) and then she was so excited that she sent pictures of my newborn WITHOUT CROPPING THE PHOTOS and sent my vagina to everyone in the phone tree INCLUDING MY DAD! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😭😭😭

Also avoid pitocin at MOST COSTS!

Come back here and tell us all about it!

@catholic2001 Hey! There is a ton of great advice here so I won’t repeat it. But I did just want to let you know that typically, transition is the worst part. I’ve had three unmedicated births so far and the worst part for me is from 8-10cm.

@catholic2001 I just counted up to 10, watching the contraction counter. It helped me a lot. I just rocked on the exercise ball the whole time. I had an awesome nurse that suggested a ton of other positions but I hated them all. At the end my body did what it needed to. I had no urge to push, my body just switched and that baby came out even if I didn’t want him to. I also had my husband on strict orders to say no to epidural, even if I begged. lol and I sure did

@catholic2001 Labor at home for as long as possible, show up in transition, and get told it’s unlikely you’ll be able to get an epidural since the baby is coming quickly.

All jokes aside I was open to an epidural, or not. I asked for one only to find out I was 8cm and about 30 mins away from delivering my baby. I think in the moment I asked for one thinking I would be in that level of pain for hours based off my first labor. 18 hours of labor, 2 failed epidurals, 3rd one worked just in time to start pushing, pushed for an hour. So as my contractions became more painful, longer, and closer together, I panicked and requested an epidural.

In hindsight I am SO glad I ended up without one. I had a water birth, pushed for under 10 minutes, and had a wildly easier recovery than with my first.

@catholic2001 I used nitrous oxide from 7-9cm. Then pushed for 2 hours, holy hell. 😂 I would just hope things progress faster for you this time! I can’t think of what I would do differently for myself on the next go around. I know I can handle the pain and just hope things move faster!

@catholic2001 Things that worked for my second baby’s birth, it was my first birth unmedicated:
Having a thorough birth plan printed and in hand. Really helped me focus, having reminders of my goals and how I envisioned my birth right with me. Having a written plan also helped me power through, when a nurse who came in towards the end told me the birth plan for my daughter was beautiful. It definitely played into my motivation to keep going!

Warm bath! I waited until 6 cm or so dilated, and my husband slowly poured hot water over my chest during each contraction. It helped to focus on the water sensation instead of the surge. My prior birth, I had wanted to do unmedicated, but as it went on I began focusing on the pain of contractions. So this strategy helped me quite a lot with that.

Counter pressure

I already saw this suggested, but it was a great motivation for me as well: I read Ina mays guide to childbirth during my last month of pregnancy and that’s when I really felt like I could absolutely do this and trust my body knows what it’s doing.

And finally affirmations. My favorite was “i can do anything for one minute ” “when I am soft and relaxed my surges pass more quickly and effortlessly” “my body will not make surges stronger than I can handle”
I think all of these came from a YouTuber and doula named Taylor. During labor I listened to her labor walkthrough videos on repeat until I couldn’t focus on them anymore.

In the end it was so worth it, I felt a whole new level of pride when telling her birth story. I am about two years post birth and my husband also still randomly brings up how proud he was of me setting and accomplishing that goal. For me it was very empowering and made me feel like I can do anything! I personally think it helped my labor move along faster and made for my easy recovery. I felt so much more able afterwards. I know it can vary but this was the case for me! Saying this in hopes it encourages you! Best of luck to you!!

@catholic2001 This is a lovely thread of great advice! I just had my second baby three months ago and I as well was hoping for an unmedicated birth after my first born was birthed with an epidural. Transformed by Birth by Britta...?? (Forgot her last name) was a great resource for me. What helped me the most was changing my mindset. My whole 16 hours of birthing was like a long meditation. I refused to think of contractions as painful during that time. I thought of them as my power. I used a lot of visualizations. It's a JOURNEY. Collect a bunch of tools before birth and then once you're IN IT figure out what works best for you and use them. I enjoyed my unmedicated birth a lot more than my epidural birth, transition and all!

@catholic2001 My best tip is to focus on baby’s position in the weeks prior! Keep good posture, sit on an exercise ball, no slouching, sleep on your side, walk everyday and add positioning stretches to your nightly routine. If you can get baby in the right position, you’ll be in a good place for an uncomplicated, steadily progressing labor.

For actual labor, I used the method of breathing in for six counts and out for six counts. It really carries you through the peak of your contraction, and then you’re on the other side of it! And every contraction brings you closer to your baby.

Another lovely thing is that after my first unmedicated birth, I felt incredibly in control for the second. I knew what transition felt like for example, and felt super present and aware of where my body was in the process. It was awesome—and that baby was 10 lb 6 oz baby (not joking)!

Good luck! In the end, you meet your baby. No matter how get to that point, it’ll be beautiful!

@catholic2001 I literally had my second (first unmedicated) birth a week ago today 🥲 I took HypnoBirthing which helped in the weeks prior and honestly the beginning of my labor. The rest was helped along by my husband and doula. She had a huge bag of tricks and I honestly don’t remember the last 2 or so hours. I spent most of it moving around and super focused on breathing her down. It was awful and amazing. pushing was the hardest part for me which I was not expecting!

@catholic2001 I had a similar situation to you— had an epidural for my first and went unmedicated with second. What helped:
  • Physical therapy and chiropractor visits during third trimester to make sure baby was lined up
  • listening to the relaxation track from “Mindful Hypnobirthing” every night as I fell asleep
  • ignoring labor for as long as possible
  • staying home for as long as possible (when I arrived at the hospital, I was at 10 and all I had to do was push)
  • the tub! I get that some people on here don’t like the tub but for me it wayyyy dialed down the intensity of contractions
  • vocalizing helped so much!!! I tried to relax my jaw and just let it all out
  • letting go of the notion of being “chill”.., as long as I was coping well I realized it didn’t matter if I looked or sounded like all the zen moms in the Hypnobirthing YouTube videos. I had ZERO chill but was actually coping really well!

@catholic2001 Honestly I loved my experience! You do get a break in between contractions and I remember me and my husband laughing a little in between (not belly laughs but like dry humor). Also he was really encouraging when I would say things like “it feels like ___ (insert crazy sensation)” hubs would say “that’s good! That’s whats supposed to happen!”

Something no one told me when you stay home for longer is that you get all this bloody show… so keep some gross towels or adult diapers on hand 😝

@catholic2001 I did body ready method and found the birthing class very informative and helpful. To “prepare” my body i focused on lifting weights 4x a week though, so despite paying for their program, I didn’t really do their workouts.

I didn’t tear and I really think it’s from all the workouts. I did end up getting the epidural at 8cm because I was having back labor and things weren’t moving. After the epidural, a nurse put me on my side and shook me, then the other side and the baby flipped!! After having back labor herself, she did some “Spinning babies” courses and I will definitely look into them for baby n.2.

Ina May’s Childbirth book helped a lot. Other things I think helped with pain/ smooth labor: Red Raspberry Leaf capsules, perineal massages, warm compresses while pushing.

Despite getting the epidural I didn’t tear and my recovery was pretty amazing. All the nurses were in disbelief because I barely bled. 2 days of spotting and then nothing until day 7. I went on a light hike and I spotted a little.

@catholic2001 I did a German birth course similar to hypnobirthing throughout my entire pregnancy. It helped so much.

I remained calm, and the birth was magically peaceful. While not pain-free per se, it was more like period pain, and I was very present and relaxed without needing any medication. I started to feel discomfort at 7 cm (this is when we arrived at the hospital), but nothing felt overwhelming or truly painful. I was smiling and genuinely happy and positive throughout the whole experience.

I was also feeling so elated from the birth hormones for days afterward; it was amazing. I felt like my old self 1 hour afterward, up and walking again.

What I can say was important to me was understanding how the different hormones in my body work to aid labor, and how stress, fears, and adrenaline can slow labor. So I did everything to stay relaxed and also truly surrender to the whole process. I was open to everything; I would have been fine with an epidural and a C-section. My whole goal was for labor to be peaceful, in whatever way that would be.

So my advice is to practice some kind of calming technique that helps you relax fully, surrender to the feeling, don't try to cling to the one perfect way to give birth, and focus on being peaceful instead of having to endure pain.

The more relaxed you are, the better labor can go and the less painful it could be.

Hope that makes sense.

@catholic2001 Practice and prepare for a precipitous labor, especially since this isnt your first. I had been prepping with all kinds of breathing techniques and Bradley method positions and spinning babies movements etc etc etc and everything I had prepped for relied on contractions starting out slow and ramping up. I had been told over and over that first births are often very slow at the beginning and to mentally prepare for a marathon, not a sprint. But then I had my first contraction and immediately contractions were debilitating and 3 minutes apart, we went to the hospital after 45 minutes, and 5 hours after my first contraction I was pushing. Then everything slowed down while pushing and I had to push 4 hours 🤡 My main memory of this whole experience was feeling absolutely terrified, like I was under attack. I was so scared. My brain did not have time to catch up with what was happening and all those breathing techniques went out the window because I just didn’t have time.

So if I were to go back in time, I would not only prep for the long slow early labor, I would also prep for a fast early labor! I’d include that scenario in the run-through breathing techniques and mantras and practicing with my husband coaching etc. (We had a doula but she was useless lol.)

Back