Vaginal v CSection Birth

@allthatisgood Are you having di/di or modi twins? That plays a part into how long you can go safely. I gave birth to my twins vaginally. I found an OB and MFM practice that had 2 OBs who have done twin vaginal births and who have done breech extractions on twin B. Thankfully both of mine were head down and I didn’t need to worry about it.

@marriedwiththescotts Private sonographer 8 week scan shows mo di. But 16 week private scan showed boy and girl. No one seems to know what is what. I’ve been to 2 midwife practices who don’t take twins. I’ll go for anatomy scan at 21 weeks with MFM and see OB 9/28. sigh

@allthatisgood Gotcha. The MFM will definitely be able to tell you if they are modi or di/di at the 21 week scan.

So, absolutely do your own research but if they are modi they are going to strongly encourage that you get induced around 37 weeks. I know you don’t want induction but after 37 weeks it is not good for twins that are sharing a placenta to still stay in the womb. For various reasons. I very much wanted a water birth and to hire a midwife, I decided to listen to my OB and MFM team and I am glad I did. However they were not pushy and just presented me with facts and evidence to back it up. I ended up getting induced at 35+4 due to baby A was diagnosed with IUGR. My girls came out perfect but tiny due to my placenta basically failing to keep up with 2 babies at the end of the pregnancy. They are now 3 months, but 2 months adjusted and they are hitting all of their milestones for the 3 month mark, so they are right on track and gained a ton of weight once they were out. My induction went very smoothly (but it did take a long time). Anyway that is just my experience. I hope you find a good medical team that will support your wishes!

@marriedwiththescotts So either my girl baby is really identical boy. Or I have a triplet people have been confusing (less likely ..?) I’ve been scouring my ultrasound photos because honestly I see mo di in 8 week pics. But I’m confused if I see a third sac and baby. Other footage I have later also seems confusing. But the most PROBABLE outcome is they inaccurately saw a girl that’s really a boy .

@allthatisgood Had my first at a birth center and was planning a home birth next before I found out it was twins. I really really did not want an induction and I carried as long as my OB would let me but ended up needing an induction because of increased rate of stillbirth at 37 weeks for my monodis. But the induction went smoothly and I delivered both vaginally. Hoping to have our next baby at home!

With all of your previous successful deliveries, there are many OBs that should feel comfortable with you delivering vaginally as long as A is head down. I doubt you’ll have to put up a fight!

@ntlfr8 Induced at 35 weeks, but ended in a csection as there heart rates were dropping when contractions started. The recovery was fine for me, I was back on my feet by 4 days out, but they were in NICU for 17 days and I think the routine of commuting back and forth to spend the day with them helped.

@ntlfr8 I had a C-section because baby A flipped breech at 36 weeks.

I also wanted to share - my OB also retired (or swapped to being a hospitalist only) at 30 weeks. She had been my 3rd provider during my twin pregnancy and I really liked her because she was a twin mom herself. So just wanted to say you're not alone in having a late OB swap. A 5th OB ended up doing my C-section (because the new OB didn't do surgery) so my care was really all over the place. But it did work out okay in the end!

@ntlfr8 Gave birth vaginally and A was down and B was breech and transverse. They also need to be fairly similar in size, esp if B is bigger.

@ntlfr8 Oh my gosh, I would be so upset had my ob unexpectedly retired. I’m so sorry. Both of my boys were head down but I had to be induced early due to pre e. I was induced at 35w5d and opted for a c section at 36 weeks after the induction didn’t progress far enough (and they had already broken baby A’s water 8 hours prior/ I had been in labor for about a day). I know that some doctors are more comfortable with delivering vaginally as long as baby a is head down… some aren’t. My doctor was definitely opting for vaginal if we could, but always phrased it as “you’ll be a good candidate for vaginal delivery if at least baby A is head down” as opposed to confirming it would be vaginal. Unless you specifically plan a c section there’s just no way to know!

@ntlfr8 Emergency c section at 30 weeks due to a complication with one of our boys.

I never wanted a c section if it could be avoided. My consultant was happy to try for a vaginal birth when we discussed it, but then circumstance decided for us.

It was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be. The c section itself was pretty chilled. The recovery wasn’t fun, the worst part was the stomach muscles, I felt like I didn’t have any and couldn’t do anything. It was so frustrating.

At the end of the day you need to do what you think is best for your babies xx

@ntlfr8 Vaginal. Baby A was head down, B was breech. The hospital i delivered at was experienced in breech extraction. I scheduled for 37+1 weeks, my water broke spontaneously at 36+1.

@ntlfr8 I was a very different situation that you. I had a csec for my singleton and no desire for a vbac. A was head down, B breech. As placenta was over my previous C-section incision making me a high risk for placenta acretta and hemorrhage. I wanted a tubal done at delivery. I also had blood that was hard to match since I am rh-, but one baby was rh+ and one was rh-. We moved my C-section up to 37+1 to rule out going into labor naturally in the middle of the night.

Planned C-section went fine, no hemorrhage. B was hard to get out since he decided to starfish once he had room 😂

@ntlfr8 I had modi girls are 36+2 via scheduled c section. Would have not done it any other way as I wanted to avoid having vaginal and c section. Honestly I didn’t want to risk it at all.

@ntlfr8 I was scheduled for a CS at 37+6 but asked to try for vaginal delivery. My doctor said as long as hospital policy was ok with multiples being born vaginally so was he as long as they're head down. I was induced at 40+4 (one later told me "it was so comfy and cozy in there" and he didn't want to come out 🥰), I declined the epidural the first time it was offered, they couldn't find baby a on the monitor so they did an emergency c section and I was under general anesthesia because I had refused the epidural and hadn't had time to ask for one. (it was about 30 mins from my refusal til they checked on me again and we ended up in the OR). My husband wasn't allowed in because I wasn't awake, and I have no idea who was born first 😂

If I ever had kids again I'd schedule a c section, but that's just because of my anxiety. I hated waiting, not knowing if this time when I pee I'll see the mucus plug, or will my water break now? what about while I'm shopping? or driving? or an hour away from home and my husband can't get to the hospital? or all these other things. I didn't recognize how bad my anxiety was at the time, but now that I know i definitely wouldn't want to have to wait to go into labor (which I never did anyway), or possibly end up with a RCS anyway.

@ntlfr8 I had identical twin girls I may, they were both breach. I ended up having an emergency csection. If you can, I'd do vaginally lol I've had 5 other births all vaginally and the recovery is about 100x easier lol

@ntlfr8 I had di/di twins. Baby A was head down and baby B was transverse. I had previously had an easy vaginal delivery and was given the choice of vaginal or c-section.

My water broke at 36 weeks and I felt more comfortable with a c-section. My reasoning for this was that twins are riskier than singletons, and I’m not a risk taker and really didn’t care how they got here, just that they got here safely.

Baby A was delivered fine and during that baby B suddenly suffered oxygen deprivation. They had him out in minutes but the effects were immediately evident. Fortunately he received hypothermic treatment immediately followed by a lot of therapy and is now completely healthy and fine. Discharged from everything around 18 months, doing great in preschool, and very happy and healthy. Obviously with the benefit of hind sight a c-section was right for us.

For what it’s worth my c-section recovery was way easier than my vaginal delivery. For my vaginal delivery I had extensive tearing, full body soreness, couldn’t sit for a week without a pillow. Just very miserable. I was terrified of c-section recovery but I found it a breeze. I took a shower and used the bathroom that night of delivery and had no issues w my recovery.

@ntlfr8 Had a C-section at 37+5. Baby A was breach from day one and so a planned C-section it was! My C-section experience was VERY positive. I think the babies decide how they will be delivered, if they both go head down - great! And if only one decides to - they voted and it's a C-section ;). It is my belief, that if you remain open and "fluid" to what may occur, your experience will be more positive. If you get rigid or "stuck" on having a vaginal or c-section, and recite the negatives for either, you'll end up disappointed. Neither option is delightful lol and yet...they both kind of are ;)

Back