Unmedicated birth advice

@notloveisnotjesus I love this!! Yeah I tried nitrous last time and threw it because it was pointless šŸ˜… but I wish I would have known I was in transition because I think I would have maybe made a different decision? But my transition also hit super hard. My baby was huge and coming fast. This time Iā€™m going to ask my new doula to be a bit more assertive with me on where I could be in the labor process so I can make the most informed decisions. Thank you for sharing!!!

@catholic2001 I didnā€™t take any birthing classes or really researched very much before I delivered. I basically spent my third trimester on an exercise ball and used that a lot during labor both at home and in the hospital. I had a lot of back labor and my husband was amazing with counter pressure, that helped so so much! I also had the windows wide open in the middle of a snow storm, the cold air kept me from feeling sick/nauseated. Not sure if this is the correct term for the occasion, but I found that disassociating and just letting my body do its thing while relaxing as much as possible was the way to go for me!

I have a weird fear of catheters (never had one, though), so knowing that I might have to have one with an epidural was a huge motivation for getting through labor with as little intervention as possible!

@catholic2001 I didn't take a class or anything, just read a lot of unmedicated birth stories. I also just told myself there was no option for meds, didn't allow for it to even cross my mind as an option. This is a privileged take, as I and baby(ies) were healthy throughout labor and my labor progressed typical. I also had a very vetted and supportive birth team. I didn't have a birth plan. I knew what they would support, how they would support. So I could feel confident that as long as everyone was ok physiological birth was the plan. I had no doula. I took "know your options birth course" so it was very unbiased and allowed me to prepare for any/all options. I knew that if I kept moving, stayed hydrated and listened to my midwives it would be over soon.

In terms of pain I just sort of freaked out a lot at the end. I think thats normal. I was very tired. But I did it, twice. And both times I forgot all about it after it was over like 12 hours later haha

ETA: also i dont want to say it was all sunshine and roses, my first birth was an induction at 37.5 weeks for SGA and was born weighing like 35% percentile and i didn't need to be induced at all so that was kinda bullshit. My second birth i had a very intense hemmorage and almost needed to be taking to the OR for retained placenta. They would have had to knock me out with god only know was but luckily they manually extracted it, and it was no fucking fun.

@catholic2001 I think it goes to say birth be crazy and be ready for anything. But having a vision is a good thing. Having a "best case scenario" is good. Understanding the data and consider expectant management care instead of active. My care providers did that as a standard, I think who is going to be in the room, you want them aligned in their own way.

@catholic2001 recommend reading Hypnobirthing by Siobhan Miller and Ina Mays guide to Childbirth. These both helped me so much with achieving my unmedicated birth. Also recommend the comb as others have suggested, laboring at home as long as possible, and using water as a natural pain reliever, using the shower or the tub if available. And keep moving, movement is your friend!
Good luck!!!

@catholic2001 I had an unplanned unmedicated birth so had to think on my feet a bit, but I remembered these as being helpful:

-Itā€™s a progress pain. Look forward to the next contraction because itā€™s one step closer to having your baby

-Whenever I had the ā€œI canā€™t do thisā€ defeatist thoughts, my midwife very firmly said that I was already doing it (so essentially shut up) and it worked

-I assumed the pushing would be the worst part but actually it was amazing. My body 100% knew what to do and I felt like I was just following its lead. Not to say it was comfortable - but a totally different kind of pain which almost seemed unimportant in the moment.

-You will feel so, so proud of yourself afterwards.

@catholic2001 Honestly - I was hoping for an epidural but it wouldnā€™t have been fast enough. With my first I had one but it didnā€™t take. The thing that I did the second time which made a huge different is just accept the pain, not try to fight it or fear it. It was kind of weird but once I just stopped thinking of managing pain as a goal it was easier. It was like a switch flipped and I just rode the waves so to speak. It fucking hurts for sure but once the baby is out the pain mostly stops and I think he came out faster because I was really focused on the actual labour.

@maxgraham I worked out last pregnancy and it helped SO MUCH with labor and delivery! I completely agree with you! Since Iā€™m in 2nd trimester I feel much better and am getting back into my workout routine. Special bonus, it makes pregnancy better too!

@catholic2001 Things that helped me:

-Music

-Tub

-Counterpressure (it helped to have two people doing it so they could take breaks - my partner + doula)

-A doula

-Having ā€œone more thing to addā€ if things got more intense (basically always being able to add something or try something new when needed. Nitrous was an option but I kept holding out for things to get worse to take it. I even had them set it up in the room, just never started it. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø)

-Changing positions a LOT. Nurses really had to keep an eye on me because I really listened to my body and would move without warning (relevant because I was unfortunately being induced and needed to be attached to a med pole)

Highly rec a wireless monitor (if they require you to wear one). Mine could go in water so that worked well. It was one less thing to deal with.

I didnā€™t like the combs but low key they were my security blanket. I think they mustā€™ve helped..

My labor and birth location changed last minute but I wish a TENS machine was an option. Iā€™ve heard great things!

@catholic2001 Highly recommend a tub! I popped in and out of a warm bath, it gave me a chance to rest and recouperate.
I think a big part of non-med birthing, aside from managing pain, is keeping up your energy levels. I got very tired toward the end. My husband spoonfed me some honey, and I would get in the tub to relax and slow down labour a bit. Also try and sleep in the early stages of labour if you can.

@catholic2001 I had one unmedicated and two medicated births. I preferred my unmedicated one from a recovery standpoint, but, to be fair, she was also my only baby who was properly positioned. My other two were sunny side up and that was very painful- labor was worse with them than it was the entire labor/delivery with my unmedicated labor.

I used hypnobirthing breathing techniques, lots of movement, and my doula would do counter pressure. Transition always makes me nauseous and lightheaded so cold wet cloths and centered breathing helped with that. I got my epidurals at 9 cm with my medicated births, so I did experience most of the labor, and tried to do the typical techniques with them, as well.

I also had lavender essential oil in a wristlet. I would smell it during inhales of bad contractions- helped keep me centered and breathing deeply. It also is evidence based to help with pain when used as aromatherapy (a lot of the other oils donā€™t have scientific journal support, but lavender does).

If you DO end up getting the epidural again, ask to labor down before pushing. Pushing when baby is high (basically as soon as youā€™re complete) can be a huge energy expenditure and can cause pelvic floor issues. We typically try to let moms labor down. Iā€™ve seen many blocked moms only push a few times with their second after being allowed to labor down.

@catholic2001 Have you reflected on what was and wasnā€™t working for you before your epidural? I know first hand that those memories get really hazy surprisingly quickly, but youā€™ve got experience that can point you towards the right answers for you.

My favorite quick read that gave me many tools was Cut Your Labor in Half by Mindy Cockeram. Itā€™s mostly evidence based, and itā€™s transparent about the places where itā€™s not. It helped me understand how my body and brain work so I could work with whatā€™s already happening instead of fighting it. This book was the least ā€œwooā€ unmedicated labor book I read.

I also really liked Spinning Babies (anecdotal and experience based rather than formally evidence based). One of my goals in unmedicated labor was to be mobile, and this helped me understand pelvic anatomy and biomechanics in a way that gave me confidence in how to be mobile. My baby was posterior when I went into labor. I could have had painful back labor or complications in pushing from a posterior baby, but she ended up doing a 270 degree rotation and coming out anterior instead. My labor was longer than it could have been (šŸ˜³) but I credit SB for having manageable pain levels throughout and a smooth, short pushing phase.

@catholic2001 What really helped me, and 100% contributed to a successful unmedicated birth center birth, was listening to a ton of birth stories. I really liked "Doing it at Home" Listening to all the stories made me feel really mentally prepared no matter what happened, and in turn made it easier to relax into everything and work with my body

@catholic2001 I am a FTM who had an unmedicated birth last week. I went in to be induced at 41 weeks, got there already in labor but still did a low dose of pitocin. I started pitocin at 10am, baby delivered at 8 pm. I pushed for about 2.5 hours. I donā€™t have recovery to compare it to, but I definitely am feeling it. I have a small second degree tear and a small tear that they didnā€™t stich on my labia.

While overall it was a positive experience, I am still processing everything because it was such a primal experience.

When I was transitioning I felt like I couldnā€™t do it anymore. I was exhausted from intense contractions after my water broke. But once I started saying I canā€™t do this anymore, I was 8+ cm. At that point, they kept telling me I was almost there. Knowing that I was feeling normal things (panic, exhaustion, defeat) during transition was honestly helpful. The OB attending who was there when I got in said itā€™s important to remember that I am safe and I am secure. Having a strong support system to keep me going was everything. My husband provided counter pressure, fed me ice chips, and put cool cloths in my body. My doula instructed him on things to do.

As for classes, I did a prenatal yoga and birthing class that focused on meditation. I used the tools of meditation and riding the waves of contractions early on.

When it came to pushing, I was not interested in holding my breath. I didnā€™t like the way it felt. But at the two hour mark my nurse and resident had a hard talk with me that breathing through pushing wasnā€™t working as well. I trusted them, so I started holding my breath while pushing. It was much more productive.

So, all in all my experience: meditation to learn how to ride out contractions early on, knowing the transition is the scary part, having a strong support system, and trusting your providers.

@catholic2001 Read Birth Skills by Juju Sundin. I won't elaborate more as my long testimony for the book is included in the book reviews on Amazon (username MommaBear), but this book was incredible for me. I cannot recommend it enough. It totally changed the game for my second birth.

@catholic2001 I had one medicated and two unmedicated births - first unmedicated happened because I progressed too quickly and there was no time for an epidural. Second time I really wanted to hold off on medication for as long as I could and lo and behold baby arrived very quickly again so by the time I asked for epidural and the anaesthesiologist arrived the baby just came.

During my third labour I was very conscious of using my body in any way that was comfortable - being active, walking, doing wall squats felt good, breathing and counting through my contractions (hypnobirthing techniques), as well as gently pushing my belly lower and lower keeping in mind that each contraction brings me closer to the baby. I also visualised my body and baby working together, which helped - thereā€™s a video on YouTube where a lady demonstrates with a balloon and pingpong ball how contractions help baby out and that visualisation really helped reframe the pain and discomfort in my mind. I also remembered that the pain is temporary.

. First unmedicated birth I only had to push for a couple of minutes and it felt more intense than painful. Second time baby came out without any urge to push, in one go, before my OB arrived and before anyone else could catch her.

However, I did take paracetamol (acetaminophen in the US I think) the next couple of days when the contractions as my cervix was going back to its normal size were as, or even more intense than during labour.

@catholic2001 I took a hypnobirthing class led by our doula and the methods and techniques were so helpful. The hypnobirthing tracks didn't really resonate with me, but the breathing techniques still were useful so I always tell people you can gain so much from it even if you don't listen/practice with the tracks. BUT I want to say that I believe the #1 thing that helped me have an unmedicated birth was my team. Our doula was just incredible, worth every single penny. I feel like she had a magical toolbox of techniques and suggestions she'd pull out during the incredibly long labor. Our midwives were also amazing. Most importantly I trusted my team and felt safe with them, allowing me to relax and get out of my head. Really feeling SAFE is important, so your body and mind can relax, so you don't have cortisol spiking and the other hormones responsible for birth like oxytocin have room to spike and do their dance. I read books and surrounded myself with people who believed in physiologic birth. Yes it's painful, but it's temporary, you only have to get through 1 minute at a time. You can do ANYTHING for 1 minute. And if for whatever reason you decide you want the epidural, then that's fine too! I ended up getting an epidural after 4.5 hrs of pushing, and she was born 30 minutes later! I can assure you at that point after 40 hours of labor, the epidural didn't even feel like relief. Anyone can handle childbirth unmedicated, but everyone has the choice of whether or not they want to, and that's completely valid too.

Back