Unmedicated birth advice

@catholic2001 I had a little spring my therapist gave me for panic attacks, basically just a grounding tool similar to the combs people use. I just focused on that and breathing through contractions, had a pretty fast labor so that helped.

@catholic2001 Hypnobirthing helped me a lot to relax but you have to practice it a lot during pregnancy (or at least I found it helpful to do so). Start as soon as possible. Body ready doesn’t seem to be as mentally focused so I would also do a mental prep like hypnobirthing not just body ready

Also keep in mind the sensation might not be the same this time. Plenty of people find it much more enjoyable the second or third time around because they are less afraid (fear and tension causes pain).

@catholic2001 I had an epidural first birth, a c-section second birth (twins), and whopping 9lb10o, all natural, sunny-side-up birth with my last. My biggest tip is to wait as long as possible to go to the hospital. Seriously.

First of all, you're more comfortable at home so the pain won't be so amplified. You'll have your comfort objects. Once you get to the hospital, it's a foreign space for your body, and filled with strangers. There's not much to focus on but pain and hospital walls. It can get you thinking about it too much.

EAT before you go to the hospital, but only if you're hungry. This varies by mom and by birth, but since many hospitals restrict your eating once you arrive, it's important that you don't arrive to the hospital hungry. You need your strength. Since you waited as long as possible to go, you'll have less time in the hospital losing your strength and unable to replenish it.

I wanted a natural birth with all of my babies, but only managed with my last one. I changed my mind and asked for an epidural once I got there, though, despite my own wishes, I didn't think I could do it.

Luckily for me, it was too late. She was coming too fast, and my contractions were too strong to keep a rounded back for the epidural. So I had my natural birth in spite of myself. And it was horrifying and glorious and powerful. Good luck with yours! You can do this!

Everyone else has GREAT mindset suggestions and tips to get through the pain, but my suggestion is more of a roadblock to keep you from backing out when you possibly think you can't do it anymore.

You CAN do it, but sometimes our mind will lie to us and tell us we can't, and I at least need that inability to back out as an ace in the hole. I'm thankful it was impossible for me to try to back out! (Although I was screaming to my bestie as my baby was crowning that I can't do it and that I was going to go home for the whole hospital to hear!) and then she was so excited that she sent pictures of my newborn WITHOUT CROPPING THE PHOTOS and sent my vagina to everyone in the phone tree INCLUDING MY DAD! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😭😭😭

Also avoid pitocin at MOST COSTS!

Come back here and tell us all about it!

@catholic2001 Hey! There is a ton of great advice here so I won’t repeat it. But I did just want to let you know that typically, transition is the worst part. I’ve had three unmedicated births so far and the worst part for me is from 8-10cm.

Back