U.K. School Incident - how serious is this?

freddie11

My 13 year old boy was in class. The teacher left the room, another boy ran over to son and told him to move his legs or he will ‘rag him out of this chair’ - my son said no so the bully grabbed him by the collar and pulled him out of his chair, and threw him across the room. The boy then sat down and told my son ‘his mother is an inbred’ and then sung a song about our family fucking each other. While his classmates laughed.

Would you expect this kid to be expelled?

UPDATE school have interviewed six people in the class who were witnesses. Each one of them has told the exact same story that’s my boy was not thrown and nothing was said about his mum or our family.

School of said that they have now investigating this, and it seems my brother is telling lies

We are leaving the school

@freddie11 As an employee in education, I would imagine this will result in a suspension. Expulsion is not impossible, but certainly unlikely.
Schools have a lot of hoops to jump through before permanently excluding a student, the aim is to keep them in education and it is likely that this student would need to have been temporarily excluded numerous times before a permanent exclusion is even considered.

@freddie11 No problem. Admittedly I work in a state school, but I would imagine the process is loosely the same. Each school will have their own behaviour policy, but as a fee paying school I think this would need to be quite robust to protect against appeals from parents.

@kigongo I’m not sure how the UK is but getting expelled is less likely in a private school in the US depending on the kid. School doesn’t want to lose out on tuition, or upset a family that makes $ donation.
I went to a private grade school and a kid said he wanted to shoot some of the teachers. The principal just brushed it off “he would never do that” and this was after a major shooting had just taken place so most schools were on more alert.

@freeinnocentspirit Still depends on the school. My wife’s high school expelled the daughter of the largest donors to the school for getting caught with weed(think early 2000s). The family pulled their other kid and stopped donating. But they proved the point that money doesn’t matter and no one is above the rules.

My nephew is there now and a kid just got expelled for an incident with a BB gun off campus. Never caused a problem in school but jumped in a car of a classmate and put the gun to his head and recorded it on Snapchat. It was a fake gun so the police wouldn’t do anything but they expelled him.

@kigongo But whatever the school policy is, it’s based on the qualitative opinion of what happened to my child, which is going to be sanctioned against the quantitative repercussion, such as a suspension or an expulsion.

@freddie11 You could certainly tell the boys parents that you’re considering an assault charge. May make it easier for them to swallow a suspension or expulsion.

@genx80s Never threaten legal action. Take it or don’t.

Threatening someone with legal action just gives them time to prepare their story, or flat out lie and go to the authorities first.

@dlcfsm You seem to be extremely misinformed about how the legal system works. Parents can't just 'charge' someone else's child with a hate crime. You can report something to the police. You can hire a lawyer. You can't just charge a minor with a crime.

@roxy%E2%80%99smom Also, "hate crime" is a very specific term—a hate crime must be motivated by the target belonging to (or seeming to belong to) certain groups. In the UK, that's race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or transgender identity. It's not something that should be tossed around casually.

@roxy%E2%80%99smom The parents charge the other child with assault. At least in Ca. If there is a fight involving a minor, they can be charged. Not have to do jail time but sometimes juvi is an option depending on how many times this has happened.

@freddie11 I went to private/public/prep schools in the UK, albeit the 90s and 00s but they tended to be a lot worse at handling this stuff IME. there's meetings with parents or the children usually. There's also 'asked to leave' rather than expulsion if they decide its not acceptable. From my experience its going to really depend on the kid, the background and a few other factors. This kid sounds like a douchebag but I wouldn't necessarily consider this expulsion from a private school point of view (again I'm possibly out of touch here). I heard some absolutely vulgar things in my time there, racist, sexist, you name it and the kids were just spoken to. I hope it has changed and your son gets some justice but I just remember vividly how rigged the system was there for the kids who's parents donated more.