Do you think i would deserve Christmas presents if you had 3 F’s in school?

@kolson0319 Yeah, it's not great. See if you can retake the classes, possibly during winter/summer breaks.

The main thing is don't dwell on what could have been. Focus on doing better next time.

@kolson0319 Long rant that I hope is helpful:

Anyone telling you those failing grades will keep you out of higher education is not correct. Maybe MIT and Harvard are off the table, but there are thousands of community colleges, state colleges, and smaller institutions that will accept you. Many community college courses are transferable to state universities and they will also provide “development” classes to bring you up to speed to college level.

I barely got out of high school and had to re-take many classes. I had to get credits through local community college to qualify for the university program I wanted, and got a degree there (relatively small state college with very little “clout”). It took much longer than it “should” have, but I now work along side people who went to CU, Mines (very top tear engineering school), and Purdue among other big institutions. They are my peers and no one really cares that my path was a bit “unique”.

These failures might shape your future a bit, and definitely suck in the moment, but your not doomed. Tenacity to work through your failures is going to be your most valuable asset for success.

@kolson0319 Imma be 100% honest with you, PLEASE REMEMBER this is a post on a thread from a total stranger and do your own research and contemplation on it but high school is almost entirely worthless and colleges are a scam. If your not gonna be a doctor, lawyer, architect, etc, save yourself from thousands of dollars of debt and years of struggling and consider a separate path.

Trade schools and such offer certification for jobs that pay considerably well, especially if you stay with one company for a while, but if your truly looking for random advice from a total stranger, absolutely consider going into business for yourself. Our economy tin this day and age makes it easier than ever to do what you love to do and use social media to make a killing off it. Take advantage of that, I wish I had.

That's what I'll be telling my boys anyway

@kolson0319 I have a 16 year old (who's currently failing a class), holidays and birthdays are separate from academics, would there be a lot of talks over the break, yes, potential repercussions, yes, would one of those be us not giving him the gifts we purchased for him, no that wouldn't happen.

@kolson0319 I agree with everyone else, Christmas presents shouldn't be tied to your grades.

That being said, I think you need to look at why you failed 3 classes. Where you goofing off or really trying and still failed. Either way there are things you can do to set yourself up for success in the future. Life is a marathon, not a sprint, and as long as you grow and learn from it, that would be what's important to me as a parent.

@kolson0319 I'd be more curious to know why you think being able to enjoy and celebrate Christmas should be tied to academic performance.

That said, reading your other comments on here, it seems you are concerned about your future. Or at least know that your parents would be.

While having a lower GPA means you may have a harder time getting into a competitive school, there are still always options available. For instance, you could always go to a State or even Community college, to get your Associates degree, with a favorable GPA. Once you have that, then try to transfer to the better school of your choice.

@redleghunter Plus, going to a community college first and then transferring...some schools offer small transfer scholarships for those with favorable GPAs during their time at the community College.

@kolson0319 What if you got one F. Should that mean you get 1 less gift? If you get all A's should you get _more_ gifts on Christmas?

No. Because gifts on Christmas should be given out of love, not as a reward / punishment for school performance.

You have some work to do to get caught up. That doesn't mean you are loved less by your parents.

@kolson0319 Would it help if you talk to your teacher about what you can do to improve? Can you make up for some of the work you missed or retake a course? Where I live, there are also summer school options. There is also the opportunity to meet with school administrators or guidance with your parents to hash out a plan for the future.

Yes, you deserve a Christmas gift. You also need to take responsibility for learning at school. Show that you are doing so by taking the first steps. You can do this!

@kolson0319 Oh dear. My mom has never denied christmas gifts because I got a bad performance review at work. Maybe ask your parents for their performance reviews so you can decide how much consideration and value they are entitled to at home? Look, three Fs is not good. Every kid is capable of doing better than those grades. Your parents are trying to find a way to motivate you to care. They know you care about gifts so they're trying to threaten something you care about to motivate you to do something they care about (you know, invest in your future). This is a silly way to do that, but I understand where they're coming from. Do you need academic support? What are you doing instead of learning your coursework? At the same time, gifts are a display of love. Tying them to academics is not the best way to get results and is a good way to inspire resentment.

@kolson0319 Dude it's your one and only life.

Yes you deserve presents and love.

But you also need to grow up. You're not a small child anymore. Whatever you decide to do for the next few years will determine your life in a big way. So many people get to their 30s and 40s and regret how much of their younger years they wasted. This includes myself and my husband. My husband worked in retail until he was 37. It was shit pay, shit hours and shit conditions. At 42 he's finally made a good career. But man does he regret the 15years he wasted putting up with that crap. He also failed uni 2 times in his early 20s. He's doing postgrad now and doing pretty good. It's such a good feeling.

Use your brain. Figure out what you are good at and don't throw away this time where you can make something of yourself. If you suck at studying go learn a trade or get an office job. Get some life skills.

@kolson0319 Regardless of Christmas, parents should be actively engaged in their child's academics. Failing a class shouldn't be a surprise to the student, teacher, or parent. Obviously, you can't force the student to do well but you can be aware of the situation.

@kolson0319 I dont mix school with stuff like that. School comes very easy to three of my kids and my other kid has dyslexia and dyscalculia, he works hard, just struggles mightily. Hes also the kid who helps us out around the house the most. So you need to factor everything in.

Back