If your Kid were a straight-A student but also skipped school 2-3 days a week, what would you do?

@godblessed777 Stop them.

At some point their grades will suffer but the main thing is that skipping or not going to school or work isn’t really something a parent should support.

An employee who misses work (even if they do a good job) will get fired.

A person who skips high school will suffer at university.

Also. You can be as smart as anything but the most successful students are the ones who WORK HARD, try hard and are dedicated. Those who put in effort.

EDIT — people who CARE are most successful. Why doesn’t he care?

Your sounds sounds cocky and lazy.

Edit - put him in private school or advanced classes or college classes or French Immersion.

@godblessed777 I’d be very curious how your parents haven’t ended up in truancy court, honestly. You are legally required to attend school in some form or fashion (online, homeschool, or in person). You can just skip 60% of your days without repercussions.

@godblessed777 But you still are required to actually be in school. Your school has attendance mandates. They post the work online for those missing due to illness, travel, sports, things like that. They don’t post it so that some freshman who thinks they know everything can skip 60% of the week. This WILL have consequences. Big ones.

@godblessed777 Where are they going when skipping school? That would be my concern. When my kid is in school I know where they are and they are looked after by people who would report to me if something happened to them.

If they’re out and about, there’s no guarantee for their safety

@godblessed777 Where I live, kids must go to school. Not even homeschooling is allowed. I could go to jail if I enable that behavior.

But then, I can make him leave the house but I can't stand watch in front of the school so he doesn't skip.

I'd try and talk to him about why he's skipping (boredom? mobbing? something else?) and work with the school to find a way to make it more doable for him.

@godblessed777 You can only miss a certain number of school days before you are held back a grade or you or possibly your parents are charged criminally for truancy. It doesn't matter what your grades are. Your seat isn't in the seat. If you're bored then talk to your counselor about adding more challenging courses. If it's bullying then address that with adults. You can fly through class now but you're forming bad habits in terms of work ethic, studying and learning how to show up and pay attention that will haunt you in college and in the work force. Keep up the bad habits and you won't make it beyond high school.

@godblessed777 I wish i had something to do with that decision, but schools and laws are very opinionated on skipping school.

What would you do if you did skip school?
Is that something you could do during your class without too much trouble?

Maybe discuss this with some teacher you like, if you finished your work and have good grades, maybe they can let you do something else for the remainder of the lesson. That way you will still be present at school but you can use your time differently and not get in trouble.

@godblessed777 If my child could do it withought failing the class/grade, i would most definitely allow it. I wouldnt even think about it twice. That industrialisied schedule and teaching method are stifling. I wouldnt want my child to waste so many ours of its life just because "that's how everyone does it". Ideally i would homeschool my child.

@godblessed777 If they are getting those grades honestly then I would start applying to charter schools and applying for scholarships at private schools, because clearly the school is not challenging enough for my kid. I would also ask them why they are doing this behavior.

Back