U.K. School Incident - how serious is this?

@freddie11 Press charges. Wait and confront the bully after school and let him and his parents know you are pressing charges and if he ever touches your child again you will get a restraining order and have him arrested for assault.

@markbbyrd NO.

Parents can't just "press charges". Go attempt it and see how it turns out.

You can make a police report. You can hire a lawyer. You can file a civil suit.

You can't just start a criminal case all by yourself.

@markbbyrd What country and state? https://michiganprosecutor.org/victim-faq#:~:text=Criminal%20complaints%20are%20prosecuted%20on,can%20issue%20or%20dismiss%20charges.

What happened was the other parents agreed to testify as witnesses against the other person. It was never up to them to "press charges" or not. It was up to the local prosecutors and district attorney.

"I am the victim and I want to drop the charge. Can I?

Many people incorrectly believe that a victim has the power to "press charges" against the wrongdoer, or to later "drop the charges". All crimes are offenses against the community, not just the individual victim. Criminal complaints are prosecuted on behalf of the State of Michigan, not the people who called the police or those who were personally harmed by the defendant's conduct. ONLY the Prosecuting Attorney can issue or dismiss charges."

So yes, this very much depends on where the parent lives in the UK and what their local laws are.

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/blogs/no-gavels-please-were-british#:~:text=Pressing%20charges&text=That%20is%20in%20a%20very,submissions%20made%20by%20the%20police.

"In 2019, after the MP Mark Field was filmed grabbing a Greenpeace protestor by the neck, The Guardian reported that the protestor "has no plans to press criminal charges". That is in a very literal sense true, since no one in England & Wales can press charges, unless one counts private prosecutions.

Charging decisions are, except in the case of minor offences, determined on the advice of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) after reviewing submissions made by the police. While victims can appeal for review a decision not to charge, they do not have veto power over whether or not someone is charged. CPS certainly takes into account a victim's wishes, but that is entirely different from a victim having the ability to press charges."

@freddie11 I would highly recommend you don’t talk to the bully or parents by yourself, that can be seen as antagonistic and could work against you. Just an FYI.

@freddie11 I’m from the UK and if you can’t get the school to do anything then I’d get the police involved as that’s assault. I think you threatening to get the law involved will be enough kick their butts into gear and do something.