Moms! How did you decide if you wanted a vaginal birth or a C-section?

komdiarect

I’ve been feeling so torn between what I want for their birth. If I were having a singleton- it wouldn’t be such a hard decision for me (personally) because I would choose a vaginal birth no questions asked.

BUT that being said, I have two babies in me and these are my first babies. I’m terrified of what my body will be like after a vaginal birth as well as the unknowns of twin vaginal delivery (baby B flipping, needing a C-section after a vaginal, tearing, incontinence etc)

I just feel like there are so many more unknowns with a vaginal birth, where as a C-section is scheduled and more orchestrated than anything. I understand there are pros and cons of both directions.

NOT looking for medical advice, just curious to know why you decided on your C-section vs vaginal birth!

UPDATE*

I gave birth vaginally to both of my little ones! Baby A was head down and baby B was breech. I was I induced at 36 + 4. They ended up quickly taking baby B out breech and they are 5 minutes apart :)

Everything went smooth and I am happy to report my story was NOT traumatic or as scary as some make it out to be!

@komdiarect I just had my twin boys 1/24/2024 as a planned csection. I AGONIZED over this decision. Both babies were head down and I could try to deliver both vaginally. However, there was the uncertainty of if Baby B flipped or if labor went on for too long and I was going to have to have a csection anyway.

I'm a big planner. I like plans. This is why I chose c-section. It was quick, it was painless, I saw my babies before they left me. It's been almost 2 weeks and for me, the recovery has been pretty easy. I have not been in too much pain. Occasionally but I was prescribed meds that have helped.

It would have been cool to deliver my twins vaginally but I'm so happy I had a c-section and I could start the recovery process sooner.

@komdiarect The one thing I didn't take into consideration that my dr said was that if I wanted to have more children, it's best to try vaginal delivery. However, since I will not be having any more kids, that put csection higher on my list.

@komdiarect My wife and I just had our twins on the 19th and we were feeling the same way. More power to anyone who goes through the vaginal delivery, but the risk of a C-section after the first one coming out was something we did not want to deal with. Might as well plan for one recovery rather than risk recovery from both procedures.

By about 10 days she had already felt much better than while she was 37 weeks pregnant. Steps are not too much of a strain and neither is getting in/out of our truck. Doctor prescribed a nerve blocker and oxy she stopped taking by about day 10 as well.

@heavenforme I also chose a c-section for the same reason! I really liked the idea of knowing for sure what would happen... And knowing the absolute last day I would feel like a human balloon lol. My kids came two weeks early and I didn't end up having a choice anyway bc of Baby A being breech and her medical issues.

I sometimes wonder how much easier/faster my recovery was bc my kiddos were in the SCN for three weeks, so I got to actually sleep and stuff haha. I was basically healed by the time I brought my girls home! My only regret was not taking the good drugs on my second night, bc I was worried about my supply. My supply was ass anyway; wasn't worth that awful, stinky night.

@heavenforme I had my twins 1/24/23 and it was also a planned csection and I agree with everything you mention. The last thing I wanted was an emergency section or even worse, a vaginal for one and a section for the other. In a twin birth month group I was in a mom said her Dr said that was normal and they were prepping for it. Just...no.

Love my OB but she is notorious for being late and showed up an hour late for surgery. Made it to 38+3 and do not want to imagine what it would be like trying to deliver vaginal, I would have been catching them myself!

And congrats to your new babes!!!

@goblue24 That's what my ob said to me too, I could deliver baby a vaginally but may deliver baby b by csection. Like nope I'm not having that. They both are going out of one hole.

Thank you! Happy late birthday to your twins!

@heavenforme The first half of this is me to a T. However, I had a pretty brutal recovery. It’s hard enough taking care of 2 babies as it is, let alone with your abdomen having been recently cut open. My c section was at 38 weeks on the dot and both babies were over 6lbs, so they didn’t have any NICU time. I’m grateful for that of course, but it also meant they came home when I was only 3 days post a major abdominal surgery. I also had severe diastasis recti on top of it. They were born September 2021 and are now almost 2.5. In hindsight, I still wouldn’t change anything. I was so worried about delivering one vaginally and one via c section and having to recover from both. Also, I was only 1cm dilated when I went in for my scheduled c section, so it likely would have been a long road of being induced and potentially ending up with a c section anyway. I didn’t want to have my mind set on vaginal and then have the rug pulled out from under me.

I’ve also since had surgery to repair the diastasis in February 2023 and a hysterectomy 8 weeks ago in December 2023. The good thing about my rough c section recovery is that those two surgeries were a breeze compared to the c section 😅

@komdiarect I wasn’t given a choice 😂

I desperately wanted a vaginal birth and was kinda of put out when my doctor said she wasn’t comfortable with Baby Bs position and insisted on a c section. I had a less than ideal surgery and recovery BUT turns out Baby A (who we weren’t concerned about at all) had her cord in front of her head…..that results in a cord prolapse/oxygen deprivation/emergency c section if I had tried for a vaginal delivery. So while my experience sucked, I’m definitely glad my doctor overruled me.

@komdiarect I didn’t get the option of a choice until 35 weeks when my babies both flipped head down (prior to that they were both breech).

I had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery with my older singleton and my OB told me I was a good candidate for a vaginal delivery because I had a “proven” pelvis - it was proven that a baby could make it out no problem.

She said having a previous vaginal delivery is a strong predictor (but not a guarantee) of having a successful twin vaginal delivery. She also said if it were her, and she had two newborns and a toddler to care for, she would choose a vaginal delivery due to the generally easier recovery.

I trusted her advice and decided to try for a vaginal delivery despite the risks and the chance I could end up with a c section any way. It worked out well and both babies were a vaginal delivery in the end.

So, in my case, it was my previous delivery experience that tipped me over the edge towards trying for a vaginal delivery. If it were my first delivery I’d me much more likely to opt for a scheduled c section.

@wc0476 That's so good to hear! My singleton (he's 3 now) was born vaginal too and so far my doctors seem to think I have a good chance of delivering the twins vaginally too. I'm 24 weeks and they're both head down, so just hoping they stay that way. 🤞

@wc0476 Oh man, this is helpful to read! I'm in a similar spot with a toddler at home/previous vaginal delivery. I'd like to avoid a C if possible because I'm intimidated by the recovery and at least the vaginal delivery is the devil I "know", but I also know very little of this is up to me. Luckily my OB is super supportive of attempting vaginal (at 25w, without knowing what positioning everyone will be in). Fingers crossed!

@komdiarect I had two breech babies, a long and closed cervix, and a condition that was going to kill all three of us unless I stopped being pregnant. C-section it was! (The three of us are all fine now after the younger two spent time in the NICU.)

@komdiarect Agree with a lot of what's already been said! Some questions to consider as you decide: What sort of help will you have at home after the babies are born (harder to get up and change diapers after c-section), do you want more kids (after having a c-section, you are much more likely to have a c-section with subsequent births), and your clinicians' experience delivering twins vaginally!

For me, I knew that I wanted to attempt vaginal birth if possible and orchestrated my care to give me the best odds (picked a hospital who would let my birth care be comanaged by midwives and a OBGYN with twin and breech extraction experience). I also hired a doula with twin experience because I knew my birth would likely be longer than the average.

I had a truly wonderful, even if by no means perfect, birth experience. It's such a special memory for me. I felt very cared for and my wishes respected. I was also just lucky. I was induced at 38 weeks, pushed for 3.5 hours (I felt like a nurse, midwife, or OBGYN had their hand on perineum to guide my pushing the whole time) before being moved to OR for vaginal delivery as Baby A was crowning. Baby A was delivered in 3 pushes by the midwife who told us it was going to be twins at our 10-week visit! Then 80 seconds later the doc + resident pulled Baby B out by foot in a breach extraction. I had minimal tearing and everything was back in its original working order in 6/7 months.

I'm so happy with my birth experience and I wish the same for you, no matter what you decide! Also want you to know that I had a total freak out the week before induction and wondered for a few days if I should just get the C-section to "know" what was going to happen.

Warm hugs.

Back