Moms! How did you decide if you wanted a vaginal birth or a C-section?

@komdiarect One of mine was breech and the other was transverse, so I didn’t have a choice. We had a scheduled c section at 37 weeks but due to preeclampsia, I had them at 35w2d. I was terrified of the c section. I feel like I worked it up in my head more since this was my first major surgery. I had pain afterwards but it was a lot better than I anticipated.

@komdiarect I’m only 27 weeks but I’m choosing c section. I work with kids with disabilities and have seen several with birth trauma and with two babies, two placentas, two cords, to me it’s just too scary to think about the risks of two babies being born vaginally. Because twins are often born early they’re at a higher risk for cerebral palsy just because the blood vessels in their brains are smaller and sometimes can’t take the pressure of vaginal birth leading to a lack of oxygen. Then what if they get stuck in the birth canal, get tangled in the cord, no no no I can’t 😅

@komdiarect I went vaginal. I talked with my OB team and MFM team. They simplified things for me because I was stressing over the decision as well. They said if both babies are head down, no size discordance, no issues with dopplers, then let’s try a vaginal birth. I also scheduled my induction with the OB that is the most experienced with breech extractions in case baby B did flip. My induction went well. 2 hours of pushing and babies were here. I’m glad I went with a vaginal birth, although I did hemorrhage a bit with baby B and needed one iron infusion.

@komdiarect I didn't get to choose. Baby A was breech and so I went with a planned C-section. Turned out to be a good thing because Baby B was head down but she had a knot on her cord and my OB said she would've never made it out the birth canal. So I would've ended up with a C-section anyway.

As a mom of three, my advice is: babies will come when they want and how they want. We can plan as much as we think we can, but we also need to leave room for unexpected/changes.

@komdiarect For me the choice was really easy to at least try for a vaginal birth because my first was a very traumatic c section and I didn’t wish to repeat it. I ended up having a c section anyway because of other issues that ended up making me a bad candidate for having them vaginally but it wouldn’t have been my choice had it not been needed.

@komdiarect i had a vaginal birth, but i feel like it was easier for me to choose this because i already had one baby before. I was terrified of surgery. i know having a c section is a huge surgery to have. i just didn’t want that. both babies were head down and i had no complications deliviering them vaginally. There was an hour inbetween them though and my epidural wore off half of my body so I felt a lot of baby b. i would choose vaginal a million times over. my recovery afterwards was fine. i was taking care of them by myself after a week and my swelling went down after a week or so also. i didn’t tear, didn’t get induced. but like i said, id choose vaginal over c-section but i think its just because of my anxiety about surgery, and i already knew what to expect after having one. do whatever you think is best for you! 🤍

@komdiarect With my first (singleton) I was terrified of both ways.
But then when I had my twins I really wanted (and got) a vaginal birth because at least I would know what to expect then. It was hanging over me all pregnancy that I might not have a choice when the time comes so I was extremely grateful that it worked out

@komdiarect Easy. Baby1 was stuck and breech. It would've been too risky to deliver vaginally. Baby Twins were breech too and neither my ob nor myself wanted any extra risks added to an already high risk, multiple pregnancy.

@komdiarect I waited to see if I even had the option but the positioning was not right, so my only option was c-section. I was leaning towards it anyway because I was scared it would end up being both if I chose vaginal birth.

@komdiarect I wanted the least intervention necessary. A C-section, while common, is still major abdominal surgery. There are unknowns in that too, because they're cutting into your uterus and your muscles.

I was induced with my twins and B was born breech. We were in the OR in case it was needed but ultimately we were there for like 45 minutes total including pushing and sewing my tear (which healed with no lasting effects). It was textbook.

There's always a chance any baby will need a C-section. I went into it ready if needed (got an epidural so I wouldn't have to be put under even though I didn't want one after a previous experience having trouble getting one to wear off) but I had no indicators of a need for a surgery, so i didn't do it.

Back