I’m struggling to know - what’s worth swapping?

@ivette I don't eat only organic. Organic in the grocery store means nothing (there are organic pesticides! WTF!) and a good farmer will do everything they can to have a thriving ecosystem and will use a pesticide as a last resort. My priority is direct (farm to table, no middle man), then local/non industrial, then, if I can afford supporting it, organic.

@username1234 Unless you are only eating produce that you are growing, you are getting produce with pesticides. Even if it’s local. If you have to choice, go organic but specifically USDA certified. Pesticides are used but with USDA certified organic there is regulation in the amount of synthetic chemicals used in the pesticide.

This is why you are going to find bugs in your organic broccoli vs conventional. It’s because the environment is a gentler.

@thatsallfolks I’m on the other end of things (family farm in a rural area, I drive an hour down the mountain to sell in the city) and I would recommend becoming a regular at your local farmers market! Be personable and ask questions, we’re happy to get to know our customers. Your city/town might also have an urban agriculture nonprofit—one of my markets is run by them, and they have a farm share program where customers can get a weekly box of produce. Lastly, you could look up CSAs in your area, which is like the farm share program but directly from farmers.

@faithfulglow Cookware. Ditch the nonstick and transition to cast iron and stainless steel. Food storage like glass Pyrex instead of plastic tupperware is another good swap. Pyrex goes on sale all the time just make sure it’s both oven and microwave safe.

@faithfulglow My approach (as a low income family) is making swaps as I’m buying things I already need. Paying a little extra for oil in a glass bottle instead of plastic, etc. I am looking for a new dish soap though because I’ve been using mrs. meyers and I CANNOT get the scent off my dishes. Also, buying local produce/food when I can! My local farmers markets match your EBT so if I pay for $20 in tokens with EBT, they give me $40 in tokens to spend on food there.

@faithfulglow I don't think you'll find research that tells you exactly what you need to know, especially as the research on micro plastics is evolving quite a lot now.

I'd suggest looking at risk / impact and minimize the biggest ones. For example, endocrine disruptors don't have as big an impact for you as they do for kids, even less for adults who are done ha I g kids. So based on that, I'd get all baby products, especially what goes into them or touches their food or body a lot - water filtered, organic food, silicone, metal or glass for anything heated (preferably everything for food), organic PJs, non plastic teething toys, dishwashing soap, whatever you put them on on the floor, etc.

For you, it would mean looking at things impacting the baby or shortening your life (just my guess you may have other risks you worry about) - so avoid fragrances in your body products and detergents, wear sunscreen preferably mineral, hand soaps unscented and better ingredients, etc.

That being said, I still have candles (better quality ones though), cheap clothes for me, some plastic toys or ones from random Amazon brands, some non organic foods, some plastic cutting boards or Tupperware that I don't heat in, cheap furniture that off gases, etc.

@faithfulglow Anything baby uses I’m very careful about. Plastic that gets heated (dishwasher, sterilizer, microwave, etc.) should not be used. We use glass bottles and we got one silicone plate/spoon that we used until baby could eat off our regular stoneware dishes. Baby also started using glass cups around 9 months. I actually think we have saved money by just using regular kitchen items instead of special baby plastic dishes.

Back