I’m struggling to know - what’s worth swapping?

@ivette I don't eat only organic. Organic in the grocery store means nothing (there are organic pesticides! WTF!) and a good farmer will do everything they can to have a thriving ecosystem and will use a pesticide as a last resort. My priority is direct (farm to table, no middle man), then local/non industrial, then, if I can afford supporting it, organic.

@username1234 Unless you are only eating produce that you are growing, you are getting produce with pesticides. Even if it’s local. If you have to choice, go organic but specifically USDA certified. Pesticides are used but with USDA certified organic there is regulation in the amount of synthetic chemicals used in the pesticide.

This is why you are going to find bugs in your organic broccoli vs conventional. It’s because the environment is a gentler.

@thatsallfolks I’m on the other end of things (family farm in a rural area, I drive an hour down the mountain to sell in the city) and I would recommend becoming a regular at your local farmers market! Be personable and ask questions, we’re happy to get to know our customers. Your city/town might also have an urban agriculture nonprofit—one of my markets is run by them, and they have a farm share program where customers can get a weekly box of produce. Lastly, you could look up CSAs in your area, which is like the farm share program but directly from farmers.

Back