I’m struggling to know - what’s worth swapping?

@wyatt_michael They have like silicone covers for glass products so that they don’t break as easily when dropped. check out lifefactory! I’ve used avent glass bottles without a cover with no issue tho

@faithfulglow I personally got rid of most plastic items. I have a few food storage containers that are plastic for guests coming over and if I have to send them home with somebody or we use them for traveling with our cats and they can have one for food and water.

I got rid of fragrance, only wear perfume very very occasionally (3 times a year, maybe?) and it’s le labo (sample size lol)

I also use crystal deodorant which is my favorite non toxic one.

I use non scented laundry soap and Castile unscented soap for body.

@faithfulglow The literal easiest thing to swap is cleaning products since you will use those up and need to buy more. When you need to buy more, remove fragrances and dyes. Dishwashing #1, clothing detergent #2, floor cleaning products #3.
High focus on replacing the worst offenders of endocrine disruptors like lavender and tea tree. If you can’t convince your husband to remove scents from everything then use ones that aren’t known to be highly disruptive. I recently realized I was using a lavender scented swiffer mop fluid. Combined with a crawling baby, not good!

Dr Browns glass bottles are awesome BUT if you can’t swap out all of your plastic what you can do is not run it through the dishwasher or a sterilizer. The high extended heat releases more microplastics and any phthalates. Hand wash if you can’t swap out the plastic.
I switched the kids plates and bowls to glass, stainless steel, and where needed silicone which is a lot better than plastic even though not the “best”. You can buy pretty cheap stainless steel serving ware for kids.

Don’t microwave food in plastic, if you buy it in plastic (like bagged frozen veggies or whatever) dump it on a non plastic plate, cover it with a bowl to heat.

I recommend also not cooking things on aluminum pans or wrapped in aluminum foil which are linked to things like Alzheimer’s.

Don’t wrap leftovers in Saran Wrap or ziplock bags. Ideally swap out plastic storage containers especially if the food is still hot when you’re putting it away.

Swap cookware to cast iron or stainless steel. This one is harder since it’s expensive BUT anything that is being eaten or drank should be a focus since that is all being absorbed internally.

At least a tap filter for your water to remove the water treatments for it if you are on public water.

@faithfulglow I think the glass baby bottles you mentioned is a good swap because you heat them up over and over again and it’s literally all your baby eats the first 6 months or so. We liked the lanisoah ones. Most daycares don’t allow glass so we just used Philips avent on daycare days and didn’t lose sleep over it.

@faithfulglow Get rid of scents. I really think that is the most immediately noticeable swap. Laundry detergent, cleaning products, body lotion, shampoo, etc. Its everywhere and it's super irritating to skin and respiratory systems, plus synthetic fragrances are a big one for endocrine disruption.

Then I'd swap any non-stick cookware for stainless steel or cast iron. Then slowly phase out plastics that come in contact with hot or oily foods.

Then over time focus on purchasing clothing and bedding is made of natural fibres (cotton, linen, bamboo, wool).

@jjsbergy What are your mattress tips? I hate mine but I am a low budget 20 year old but same time I will long-term save if have to family will not buy me a new one lol. I dont mind a two bunk bed for sister and I instead of mattress if anything...

@mattiash That’s tough because all nontoxic mattresses are expensive. Hell, even regular ones are. You could try secondhand if you’re okay with that. I think Savvy Rest are the least expensive new ones I can think of but still a lot. Do some research on it yourself but my top brand is Naturepedic.

@faithfulglow I’m in the same boat. I can’t afford to replace everything at once. It’s also so overwhelming to see everything in my house be something that might be hurting me and my family. I read something on here that helped me out a lot that said, “I just won’t buy it again”. Instead of wasting everything that I can’t change right now, I just won’t buy it again.

That’s given me some peace of mind.

@faithfulglow Anything that touches baby and cleans is a good start. Because the cleaning product residue (e.g. dish soap) may touch baby…

I’m always on a quest for more info to help me swap, and I found a few startups trying to shrink research time. May help you… littlestgoose.com and joincounton.com

@faithfulglow I’m going today to a store another town away to buy mollys suds laundry powder because I refuse to use anything else and Amazon said it would be get here for two weeks - if I told my husband he would think I’m nutz

@faithfulglow I'd start with filtering your water (reverse osmosis is good), focusing on eating whole foods (limit processed food/seed oils as much as possible), wearing 100% cotton for baby (and myself as much as possible), fragrance free home (no candles or perfumes), personal care products - as you already mentioned, not using the microwave, cleaning products/laundry detergent and glass Tupperware. Those are what I focused on most at first because everything all at once is so overwhelming. There is more that I am aiming for too but needs to be done overtime as it is a financial investment to change some of these things and also this is a slow process. We can't change everything overnight, so don't stress. Do what you can, when you can. Mentally, it can be extremely taxing if you try to take it on all at once.

Back