Struggling and maybe regretting SAHP decision??

@friardan Could be, but I don't think so. I had PPD and have since stayed on my Zoloft. So I know what that feeling is and it's definitely not what I have now. I think maybe I'm realizing that I have a bit of a temper that's just never been tested before. I have to focus on outlets for myself I think.

@friardan So much this

I was abused as a kid growing up so I try to keep my own emotions in check when it comes to my 2YO constantly testing my patience. I set us up for success by making sure she has snacks toys and books everytime we leave the house but that never matters— 95% of the time she will throw a screaming tantrum over something random and make us a spectacle

If I were my parents, I'd smack her and if she were me, she'd learn to be invisible so it hopefully won't happen again. We're trying to break cycles here though, so I get down on her level, ask what's wrong, try to divert her attention, sing her a song, and NOTHING works so people watch us and judge until I give up and pick my toddler up and we both cry on the way home

It's making my depression worse, not being able to go out or parent correctly. Currently just want to curl up in a ball and rot :,)

@katrina2017 Parent correctly? It sounds like you’re doing a fantastic job, especially considering what you went through as a kiddo. Good job mama. Don’t worry about other people while you’re out and about. The ones judging have no idea, but most of us understand and can sympathize! It’s a tough phase with toddlers.

@ahead I don’t have advice I just wanted to say I get it. I used to nanny and work in childcare and was into the whole RIE, gentle parenting, Montessori methods. And I used them as a nanny. But I feel like it’s SO much harder as a mom. I find myself losing my temper way more and the idea of gentle parenting just feels so unrealistic and unhelpful now. And I only have 1 toddler and a partner who WFH and helps a lot.

Being a mom is just hard.

@ahead Not a mistake you just need a break/vacation/date weekend or SOMETHING. Think about it. Full time employees get PTO. We do not.

My husband is gone Monday through Friday. Nights included. I would LOVE 12 hours because then he would at least be home!!! So as someone who can relate to what this is like, can you go to your parents or a family member’s with the kids for a week? This is what I have been doing to maintain my sanity.

When I sense myself getting like this, we get the village in order (if you don’t have a village, find trustworthy sitters) and plan time off together

@ahead I identify so much. My 2 year old also eats crayons and markers (ugh) and I find myself snapping at my 4.5 year old (going 14) when I have to repeatedly request for him to do cyclical tasks. I completely lost it today when they made a pile in their room to jump in - all their clothes, diapers, books, bedding, rugs in a giant pile. To make it worse I had sorted out all their winter clothes. I just feel like theyre little savages sometimes. Will be attempting to spend all our time outdoors this summer to avoid the chaos and messiness inside.

@ahead I don’t know your entire situation but from what you explained I’m jealous.

I am home all day w my 3 year old and 7 week old. Husband is gone 12 hours a day with commute/work.

3 year old will start school in September but only 2.5 hours a day. She doesn’t nap anymore.

I know one day it will be over and I’ll miss it so I try to enjoy it the best I can and realize that some days are just going to be straight up boring.

My sister just started working full-time again. Her kids are 6 and 10 and said she’d go back to the toddler/infant phase in a heartbeat.

@jessiejackson I hear people say this and I truly wonder whether the older years are actually harder or if it's the "rose colored glasses" phenomenon. I think it's people missing the cuteness. I guess I won't know until we get there. They do say little kids little problems, big kids big problems.

Back