I’m a healthy 8+3 (ivf) but my doc said no fitness, no running, no jumping, no lifting..?

My first post here. I’m 8+3, pre-preg I used to:
1) I run 5-6km 5-6 times a week.
2) Strength training 2-3 times a week.
3) Cross fit, HIIT, cardio - I did all that.

I’m a healthy weight 126lb (57kg), at 5’2 (158cm). Haven’t gained any weight due to preg so far. Conceived through IVF and I think this is the reason why I’m being treated as a high risk case?? my doc told me to stop any fitness (as per the subject), he even told me no cycling...

I’ve been walking a lot (12k steps a day). Can’t really force myself to do yoga... what else are you ladies doing to keep active when you were told to sit tight and do nothing?

@thesimpsonslover1 I also agree with getting a second opinion, or at least asking your doctor for the reasoning behind the recommendation. Physical activity can be so beneficial for pregnancy, and I don’t know if I would be happy with not doing anything fitness wise (as long as the pregnancy was healthy). If you are given the go-ahead, you can find prenatal workouts with a strong core focus on Youtube here? I’m 33 weeks now and even though I have to modify a lot, I’m still going strong :)

@thesimpsonslover1 I’d suggest getting a second opinion. I’m a former CrossFitter who was trail running and sport climbing prior to pregnancy.

I’m 42 (and 12 weeks pregnant now), so I did decide to be more cautious and switched to hiking, top roping, lifting and yoga. I make sure to listen to my body but overall I’ve felt pretty good throughout the first trimester!

For some prenatal lifting workouts, check out Fit by Larie on YouTube and Brianna Battles’ paid programs.

@thesimpsonslover1 So, first, a question: was this from your OB or RE? My OB seems well versed in IVF, but it seems like many aren’t.

I did IVF as well and had a fairly similar routine pre-pregnancy, except I did lots of Cardio videos (including HIIT) instead of running and Pilates and light weights for strength. I was told no jumping or high impact stuff during the TWW but no restrictions afterward. They said I could do what I did before but to listen to my body. The main concerns with jumping and heavy weights are pelvic floor issues and diastasis recti, but they don’t usually start worrying about that until 2nd trimester. I have had to modify more and more for core exercise, but I’m 28 weeks at this point; for cardio I have cut out jumping but still do kickboxing and mixed cardio with light weights.

So, two thoughts: I would ask your doc why the restrictions, since I see so many folks on here who still run late into pregnancy. That may just be their standard advice for everyone, some of which may be premature or outdated. You could always talk to your RE for a second opinion if your OB said that, and vice versa. Also, there are many videos out there (I like Popsugar fitness) that have a person doing modifications, and as you need them, you can start following that person. They have pretty much any type of workout you can think of. I only had to start doing all the mods a few weeks ago, when I noticing some red flags, like coning during pushups.

@thesimpsonslover1 The advise my RE gave me before discharging me to my OB was to not stress my body out and to do things within reason. So while I agree that you shouldn’t stop exercising maybe dial back the intensity till you get clearance from your OB. Also if you have morning sickness I highly recommend nuun for keeping hydrated.

@thesimpsonslover1 If what you decide to go for is a low impact cardio, you could look into Nordic walking. It is basically cross country skiing but without skis. It will give you an opportunity to use you arms, stabilize your core, move at a faster pace etc without being bumpy. The key here is to be aware that there is more than one way to nordic walk, and what you'd be doing wouldn't be what you see old people doing. At. All. You'd really be working your arms and core and would move at a (light) jogging pace. The feeling I have after 15-20k nordic walking on the flat is like..... The best post exercise feeling ever. Not exhausted, but clearly having worked all my muscles. Sweaty af but nothing hurting. I can completely comfortably maintain a zone +/- 3 cardio (chest strap heart rate monitor) while nordic walking for 1.5-2 hours.

If the idea meets your needs and you want more information feel free to write. Nordic walking for fit people is a little niche.

The downside here is that to get the most benefit out of it, you'll probably need to invest more time than you did into 5ks and HIIT. But in exchange you get to go be out in nature for longer, if that's your kind of thing.