Does HCG actually slow down after 1200mIU/ml in a healthy pregnancy?

@jon97 Yea, that’s what I’m generally seeing in the majority of viable pregnancies. There are obviously plenty of exceptions, but it’s weird that this slowdown is so commonly cited everywhere when the studies I’m finding indicate a faster median rate.

@lucia398 With my two older children, I never had betas, except one to verify pregnancy, so I don’t know how those rose. 10 years later we were dealing with secondary infertility due to a trauma my husband had, and so beta hell became a thing. My first pregnancy, my numbers doubled until about 700, then just started to rise, but didn’t come close to doubling. They just kept slow rising. Barely made it to 2,000 (before an ultrasound could should much of what was going on). They kept telling me “sometimes numbers go stagnant around 2,000, remain cautiously optimistic”. My first ultrasound at 5w2d, showed a gestational sac, a tiny tiny hint of yolk sac, then we did see fetal pole and heartbeat at 6w2d. I can’t recall the heartbeat then, but at 7w, it’s was 178, which seemed really really high. I ended up spotting shortly after 7w, and miscarried right around 8w. My second one was a chemical, but I didn’t even get to 100 before I suspected ectopic and went to the ER, where they confirmed there was no pregnancy (anywhere), anymore.

I do know they look for a 50% rise with my clinic, so it’s not always doubling they look for (according to them).

I do hope this is still a good outcome for you, though. I know I read everywhere of people saying it does slow at 1200 and beyond, it just wasn’t the case for me ):

@jon97 Yea sometimes I wish clinics would be more upfront about the data. I know they can’t count people out if, say, 10% of pregnancies with a slower rate under 6000 still work out…. But it would be nice to know what is actually ideal and what the chances are with lower doubling rates per studies

@lucia398 I really needed to hear that there was a chance that that first pregnancy wouldn’t be viable. After 10 years of infertility, I was absolutely crushed to keep my hopes up, even when I went down so many rabbit holes, and none ended up ok. I thought “I was the exception” but I never am. I actually asked them after my second loss to never use the term cautiously optimistic with me again. With my current pregnancy (17w), I had one beta that didn’t double by 24, and they threw that term at me again. It was still so within the acceptable rate, and then I realized I had done that beta way earlier than my others because we were getting hit with a snowstorm and I wanted to beat it. Next numbers were great, and it made me upset that they even used that damn term again lol.