How hard is it to conceive and have healthy baby for 35-40F?

@tomcat4260 I am in a single mothers by choice group, and a lot of women are in their 35-40s and most have to do IVF. The closer to 40, the more likely they have to do IVF. However, there are women who have conceived naturally into their 40s, it really depends on the woman. Egg quality is better in your 20s which would increase your chance when you try if you wait until your 35-40s.

@tomcat4260 Everyone is different. Not saying my sample is the norm...but I'm one of the youngest in my friend group and I'm the one struggling the most (im 34- almost 35). I have 6 friends who all got pregnant way easier than me, several accidentally, when they were ages 37, 38 and 39 than I did at age 31. You wont know until you try. My SIL who is 39 is honestly the only person I've known to struggle like me. Ask your doctor to run basic blood tests.

@tomcat4260 Best to look into your family history, is there a history of fertility problems?

There are tests available online and through your doctor that can tell you your ovarian reserve, if it's normal or possibly low.

Another thing to keep in mind is what happens if you are not with a partner or if your partner has fertility complications when you do decide to go ahead, and also the costs of going through IVF in the future.

@tomcat4260 I always recommend this article on the data about age and fertility - the author delved into modern studies on the subject and herself had three healthy children between ages 35-40. Key excerpt:

Surprisingly few well-designed studies of female age and natural fertility include women born in the 20th century—but those that do tend to paint a more optimistic picture. One study, published in Obstetrics & Gynecology in 2004 and headed by David Dunson (now of Duke University), examined the chances of pregnancy among 770 European women. It found that with sex at least twice a week, 82 percent of 35-to-39-year-old women conceive within a year, compared with 86 percent of 27-to-34-year-olds. (The fertility of women in their late 20s and early 30s was almost identical—news in and of itself.) Another study, released this March in Fertility and Sterility and led by Kenneth Rothman of Boston University, followed 2,820 Danish women as they tried to get pregnant. Among women having sex during their fertile times, 78 percent of 35-to-40-year-olds got pregnant within a year, compared with 84 percent of 20-to-34-year-olds. A study headed by Anne Steiner, an associate professor at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, the results of which were presented in June, found that among 38- and 39-year-olds who had been pregnant before, 80 percent of white women of normal weight got pregnant naturally within six months (although that percentage was lower among other races and among the overweight). “In our data, we’re not seeing huge drops until age 40,” she told me.

So overall, chances are pretty good. The disadvantage is that if you do fall into the ~20% who have some trouble (which you could at any age), there is less time to address it.

@tomcat4260 If you’re in the US look into CNY. They have clinics in multiple states and they are committed to low cost- $3795 for a full fresh cycle. If I had known when I was younger I would have done it