do you tell your pediatrician?

tjschaffer

for those of you who bedshare, do you tell the pediatrician or just lie/omit that info? at LO’s last checkup (at 6mo) the Ped asked, as she always does, in kind of a stern way, if baby sleeps “alone in her own crib, on a firm mattress.” we started bedsharing at 4 months after struggling with the sleep regression for a few weeks but I lied and said yes because I didn’t want to deal

EDIT since it makes a difference, I’m in the US!

@tjschaffer Mine asked, “Where does he sleep?” I replied, “He has a crib.”
Which was true, he did have one. He never slept in it. I used it to store stuffed animals.
She didn’t catch that, and I didn’t clarify.

@tjschaffer We have converted an Ikea cot into a side car crib and attached it to our bed.
So I told his paediatrician, he sleeps in his cot which is right beside our bed.
So technically didn’t lie 😂

@msdecember I got the Ikea sniglar cot and did not attach the 4 th side to it.
I attached timber panels to its legs to increase the height and match it to be the same as our bed height and then attached the cot to our bed using ratchet straps.
To avoid any gaps I used pool noodles wrapped in a towel, on the far side of the cot, and pushed the cot mattress towards the bed.
Pic
here for your reference.

You can use furniture raisers as well. But in my case furniture raisers were not sufficient enough so I had to get timber panels attached

@msdecember You are welcome. I wouldn’t take any credit for this as I got this idea from the FB group - “The Beyond Sleep Training Project”.
The admins and members in that group are really helpful and I got all the suggestions from them on how to build a side car crib.

@tarag I appreciate this! Trying to find solutions because we have such a tall mattress and bed frame (28 inches) because my husband is so tall. What crib did you use?

@msdecember I used this delta children crib from Amazon it has adjustable heights.

They also have this which is slightly cheaper and you could put extra wooden 2 by 2s on the legs if it needs to be any higher, plus it’s still adjustable and it’s cheaper.

We had a bed frame, but we took it off because it was too tall and bulky and made the sidecar crib almost impossible. Now we just have the boxspring on the floor and mattress on top. It’s the perfect height for my 9 month old to be able to get down on his own too!! He’s learning how to put his feet first and slide off.

@anon987 Yep! Told my doctor and she was like, “Okay.” I know from the pictures on her wall that she has three kids. Ain’t no way they all slept in their own spaces.

@anon987 My pediatrician asked if he sleeps “near me” when told her we had challenges with connecting sleep cycles. She looked at me from above her glasses and said, “it’s okay it’s very common in my culture.” I told her “yes! And we practice safe sleep 7!” I could’ve hugged her

@tjschaffer I made the mistake of telling my paediatrician in the first visit and she gave me a lecture about SIDS.
So now I cosleep and don’t tell my doctor.

I find it sad that cosleeping is so uncommon in the USA. It seems natural for a baby to sleep next to it’s mother. And having an entire room/nursery for a baby is like a luxury in most developing countries.