Did r/ScienceBasedParenting just shut down?

@lzimmer I mean I guess we could always tag the mod and ask for screenshots, we have all the communication in modmail forever unless it's been purposely deleted. Idk. Admins aren't going to issue a 3 day ban because you sent somebody one word, it just doesn't work that way my friend.

@hurrix I made a new one r/parentingscience. It's still in its baby stage but is surprisingly active for how new it is. We would love if people joined and helped build the community. Everyone over there seems genuinely helpful.

@christfollower1993 I am not familiar of how stuff like this works on Reddit. What does this mean really? Does it mean the mods of the sub shut it down? Or does it mean Reddit itself shut down the sub for some reason?

@lozzymagoo Almost certainly the former. I've been on reddit a decade and only have ever heard of Reddit shutting down illegal (like selling drugs or teaching you how to use darkweb sites), hate-based, or extremely violent video subreddits.

@lozzymagoo Nah, no one shut anything down. That wasn't the best phrasing.

The sub is just set to private, meaning all the content is there, but no one has access to it until the unhinged one makes it public again.

@lzimmer As a mod (not of this sub), if you like the other sub, I would take this down. I wouldn't reopen a sub if I saw this post/comments about it!

Mods work hard and no one appreciates us lol, we get blamed for everything negative but never thanked for the positives. This thread is a good example of why it's a bad deal. I want to get out of it as well, I think most people find it depressing.

@sunshine44u The mod in th subreddit is quite unhinged, I've been banned from there too with no warning for participating in discussion and violating a rule that the moderator hadn't event posted at the time I made my comment.

@forumfan I’m a mod. We’re all “unhinged” when someone breaks the rules and we have to, ya know, actually mod.

Warn someone? Unhinged. Make a sticky with new rules that everyone begged for? Unhinged. Ban trolls everyone complains about? Unhinged. It means nothing more than “I don’t like what this mod says”.

@sunshine44u You’re acting like there aren’t numerous cases of mods abusing their power and being completely out line. Not everyone is out to get you ffs. This is why people have issues with mods, y’all won’t even listen to reasonable criticism. It’s all “they hate me because I ban them when they break the rules” without acknowledging that sometimes mods ban people without them having broken any rules. I get that it’s a thankless job but honestly most are. No one is giving me a pat on the back for not doing my job shittly, they only care when I fuck up. I’m not at work crying to my boss that she didn’t say “good job” today. I’m also not going to cry (much) if she yells at me because I totally fucked up. Being able to admit fault is a very admirable quality many mods seem not to possess.

@jph05
I get that it’s a thankless job but honestly most are. No one is giving me a pat on the back for not doing my job shittly, they only care when I fuck up. I’m not at work crying to my boss that she didn’t say “good job” today.

It's volunteer work duhhhhhhhhhhhh​

Whole different situation. Redditors are hilarious.

Also, I've been on that sub (before it was private), the stickied posts everyone is having a meltdown over are there, none of the activity anyone is reporting is happening there, is actually happening. However, I am going along and screenshotting ALL of the ahole comments and sending them to the mods over on that sub. They deserve to know who is talking trash.

@sunshine44u You do that, I love that you’re just proving my point that mods on a power trip are just fucking unreasonable. I don’t care if I don’t rejoin that sub so your threat means nothing to me. Thanks for calling me an asshole for trying to have a discussion with you. Again, proving my point why redditors don’t like mods.

Edit: and you didn’t even address anything in my comment just one convenient word to dismiss everything. Because you KNOW I’m right. There are plenty of examples of mods being raging dickheads and you know this. Acting like y’all are all reasonable just because no one is paying you. There’s no reasoning with you either. Just cements further in my head that most mods in the end are power hungry and the second that power is questioned you threaten to ban or have us banned. Thanks for proving that point too, brillant example of moding gone wrong.

@christfollower1993 I made a reddit request for the subreddit:

Doubt it will be approved, as the moderator has recently made actions on the subreddit. But making a subreddit private/dark does seem to be against the reddit policy with regards to the previous years protest.

EDIT:
The subreddit mod replied to me:

r/ScienceBasedParenting will not be available for request at any point in the foreseeable future. It is currently active, as a private sub, and will remain so indefinitely.

@forumfan This is incredibly upsetting. That subreddit is a great resource for so many people. To shut it off to the world because of one person is infuriating. Is there no other recourse we can take? This shouldn't be allowed.

@christfollower1993 You can reply and upvote the reddit request, maybe even send the moderators there a modmail?

After the protests when reddit turned of the API they were forcefully opening up subreddits that had turned private - our only hope is that that is still policy.