Dads breaking generational abuse, how do you discipline your kids?

@joanofarc1182 We have tried this with our 2yo, but without the actual ding of a timer. We'll tell her she has one minute (or two or 5 or whatever is appropriate), but it doesn't seem to resonate with her. So, I wonder if the actual ding is needed and also if there is a time that is too long or too short?

I will sometimes tell her she has 10 minutes to play before we have to get ready for bed. Then I'll update her at 5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute, or something along those lines. But it doesn't seem to make any difference.

@tom9827 Yeah I think a ding is important. Makes it more official I guess. From watching my nephew I can see he likes to push boundaries so I sometimes think he can pick up if he’s being tricked. He’s such a smart kid.

@tom9827 Yeah I think it really needs a physical cue. So the egg timer we use is 30 seconds but we just say "when all the sand reaches the bottom of the timer it's time for bed". He then sees it as a game almost and when the sand is all at the bottom, 9 times out of 10 he will voluntarily stop what he is doing, say "bed", and start tidying up.

@curtis789 A similar technique we used with our kids when they were little was to offer them choices that are all acceptable to you, the adults. When it was about 10 minutes before it's time to leave (or clean up or whatever) tell the kids it's almost time to go and ask if they want 5 more minutes or 10 more minutes.

They'll always choose 10 minutes, which we're already good with. Another dad at the park once asked me if the kids ever chose the 5 minutes. I told him no, but 10 minutes was when I wanted to finish anyway. It's about giving the kids some choice and control over the situation.

It's not 100% effective, but it did cut down on the conflict and pushback.

@curtis789 Similar - we say “last one all done” and they have to say it back to us - “last one all done” - before they have their last turn/slide/throw/whatever. Makes sure they fully understand- works wonders, assuming you follow through

@curtis789 I was surprised how well this trick worked. Tell him the TV is being turned off and actually turn it off at the same time? Total meltdown. Tell him the TV is going off in 5 minutes and turn it off in 2? Maybe a little whining, but generally acceptable to him.