Could I have a little help with a 9 y/o who won't sleep alone?

teresa

Hi everyone. I'm not a parent myself, but I'm an older (18) sibling to my 9 y/o bro. Living with my parents currently and taking care of him half the times

It looks like he's afraid of darkness, or more specifically dark smaller spaces like rooms. During the day he turns on the lights on the rooms that don't get sunlight like the shower room. Even when there's no need

He only (barely) sleeps with a small light source (e.g. a screen) Or someone sleeping right next to him. Otherwise he paces around being stressed out and demanding he needs to sleep in my parents bedroom until he gets it. It all started after he watched a random Halloween sonic the hedgehog parody on YT..

Is there possibly anything I could do to help him out sleep on his own?

I appreciate any insight

@teresa Nothing wrong with a nightlight.

You can even give him a flashlight/lantern to keep by his bed; it'll make him feel better because he can look around if he needs to.

@katrina2017 Yeah that's true, the other comment also mentioned it. I just was worried that what if he still wants to be next to someone and it's not enough but I haven't tried this since a long while so I could give it a shot again

Thank you

@ian1978 I've tried these things before but it was long ago. And now thinking about it my worrying was dumb lol, I could've just did this

I'll try them again. Thanks

@teresa Worst case scenario let him sleep with his lights on. My kids have all done that at different stages. If it doesn't keep them awake, who cares?

@teresa Those projector images for the ceiling relaxing music with rain sounds and melatonin plus a toy that’s soothing. Have you tried a weighted blanket too?

@marrycom Yeah as others said I think I'll be trying relaxing music and a small lamp, but not going for melatonin. I think his sleep cycle is all good. He just feels scared sleeping alone. Weighted blanket is a new idea tho!

Appreciate the comment