Close Before You Doze!

@adelita Yep we started just before our first baby was born. It took a couple weeks but eventually the cats stopped howling. It's been 5 years and they still aren't allowed in. We sleep so much better without them pestering us. We also got an automatic cat feeder so they no longer come to us to beg when they are hungry, they just wait around the feeder when they know it's time.

@nabthefool The automatic feeder was one of the best purchases we've ever made! They get several snacks during the day and one at night. We made sure the portion sizes weren't too big so they don't eat too much, but they eat frequently. Absolutely worth the $50 we paid for it

@adelita Luckily its just our door, I don’t expect it to be an issue with baby’s room when he is here. One of them is young and gets into things so its easier to have it cracked and let him come in and out.

@ermahgerd Our cats did this, and we live in an old uneven house so with a big enough push they could get our door open. We created a super nice space for them in the basement with a cat tower, heated beds, litter boxes and water. We put them in the basement at night to prevent them from barging in. It's been much nicer than loud meows and paws to the face in the middle of the night.

@starchurch Our apartment is pretty small (2 bedroom), so their space is the cat tower in the living room. We just have one young cat who has yet to learn that night time means settling down. I suspect that he will chill out in a bit but I don’t expect this to be an issue for babies room once he’s here. Its just mine and my fiance’s.

@adrienne I work in schools and we have firefighters come and do safety programs every year. They spend a lot of time trying to convince kids to be brave and close their door at night, because it significantly slows spread. It's much easier to get kids used to that when they are young.

@adrienne I keep all our bedroom doors closed but not locked. I’ve seen a video of the difference in a fire so now my doors are all closed. I’m fixing to have my first baby, so I’m going to make sure the nursery door is closed at night

@adrienne Just to provide a caveat:
This is a great rule of thumb in newer construction, but unfortunately, a lot of people are living in older structures that don't allow for this.

For example, my best friend lives in northern NH. She closes the door in the warmer months when she turns the window AC on, but in the colder months she HAS to keep the door open or there will be zero heat and they'll freeze. They only have a heating unit in the living room and are more worried about the fire hazard of space heaters than keeping the door open.

@neostarwcc This is awesome to hear because there is not heat in my bedroom and we just had a baby. I have a dish heater, but it's as bright as the sun which isn't optimal for sleeping. I was considering an oil filled radiator so thank you.